Can't connect to a secure web site

lookingforanswers

Can't connect to a secure web site
To use some features on the Nascar.com web site, you need to log in through
https://secure.audience.nascar.com. Problem is, the site can't be reached or
pinged. Increasing ping time generates nothing but timeout errors. Something
in the computer is blocking it from reaching that web address, whether it's
entered as a name or a numeric address. This problem happens with four
different web browsers - IE8, Firefox 3, Chrome and Safari.

It's a Gateway laptop with Vista SP1. It happens with a LAN connection. WiFi
and Ev-Do. The web address is available on one machine with an identical
WiFi link but not with the Gateway laptop.

Here are some of the attempts to solve the problem that have failed:

Resetting TCP/IP stack.
Switching DNS server.
Removing Norton Internet Security 2008.
Shutting down Windows Defender.
Running the computer with no firewall.
Removing and reinstalling network adapters and reinstalling drivers.
Running Vista in safe mode with networking.
Removing all temporary files and history.
Adding the domain to the IE trusted sites list.

The secure.audience.nascar.com address and the nascar.com domain are not
blocked in the Hosts list.

NASCAR tech support has no idea what's going on.
Several checks of other web sites and Microsoft's online support on problems
with accessing https secure sites have turned up no problems with accessing
that site.

The Gateway has no trouble accessing several other https secure sites, but
can not reach secure.audience.nascar.com.

The computer has no trouble reaching any other web sites with any of the
three Internet connections it uses. Only this one site can not be reached.

Other "fixes" that didn't work:

Changing security settings in IE.
Re-registering DLLs.
Creating a second user account.

Device manager shows no problems with network adapters.
Malware scans show no problems.
Virus scans show no problems.
"netsh interface tcp set global autotuning" changes do not work.
Switching off the https requirement for trusted sites in IE does not work.
Running IE as an admiminstrator does not work.
Changing the assignment of an automatic IP address does not work.

John McGaw

Re: Can't connect to a secure web site
lookingforanswers wrote:
> To use some features on the Nascar.com web site, you need to log in
> through https://secure.audience.nascar.com. Problem is, the site can't
> be reached or pinged. Increasing ping time generates nothing but timeout
> errors. Something in the computer is blocking it from reaching that web
> address, whether it's entered as a name or a numeric address. This
> problem happens with four different web browsers - IE8, Firefox 3,
> Chrome and Safari.

snip...

Are you _sure_ that you are using a valid link? What I get when I go there
is an entirely empty page consisting of a beginning and an ending HTML tag
-- nothing else at all. This result was the same with XP SP3 using IE7 and
FireFox. Using a Vista system the link is perpetually dead (Connecting to
157.166.224.11).

--
John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
Kevin Lillard

Re: Can't connect to a secure web site
Full address is:

https://secure.audience.nascar.com/s...tpass/login.do

Still get timeout errors.

Kevin Lillard wrote:
> Full address is:
>
> https://secure.audience.nascar.com/s...tpass/login.do
>
> Still get timeout errors.
>
> "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote in message
>> lookingforanswers wrote:
>>> To use some features on the Nascar.com web site, you need to log in
>>> through https://secure.audience.nascar.com. Problem is, the site
>>> can't be reached or pinged. Increasing ping time generates nothing
>>> but timeout errors. Something in the computer is blocking it from
>>> reaching that web address, whether it's entered as a name or a
>>> numeric address. This problem happens with four different web
>>> browsers - IE8, Firefox 3, Chrome and Safari.

>> snip...
>>
>> Are you _sure_ that you are using a valid link? What I get when I go
>> there is an entirely empty page consisting of a beginning and an
>> ending HTML tag -- nothing else at all. This result was the same with
>> XP SP3 using IE7 and FireFox. Using a Vista system the link is
>> perpetually dead (Connecting to 157.166.224.11).
>>
>> --
>> John McGaw
>> http://johnmcgaw.com

Using the new complete link I can get to the login page using FF and IE on
either an XP SP3 or a Vista computer. Have you checked your hosts file?
Anti-malware software? Logs? Firewall settings? Logs? Event viewer? There
are only about a hundred or so things that can cause problems like this... <g>

--
John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
neednethelp

Re: Can't connect to a secure web site
Your questions were answered in the very first post, which may not have been
completely read:

"John McGaw" wrote:

> Kevin Lillard wrote:
> > Full address is:
> >
> > https://secure.audience.nascar.com/s...tpass/login.do
> >
> > Still get timeout errors.
> >
> > "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote in message
> >> snip...
> >>
> >> Are you _sure_ that you are using a valid link? What I get when I go
> >> there is an entirely empty page consisting of a beginning and an
> >> ending HTML tag -- nothing else at all. This result was the same with
> >> XP SP3 using IE7 and FireFox. Using a Vista system the link is
> >> perpetually dead (Connecting to 157.166.224.11).
> >>
> >> --
> >> John McGaw
> >> http://johnmcgaw.com

> Using the new complete link I can get to the login page using FF and IE on
> either an XP SP3 or a Vista computer. Have you checked your hosts file?
> Anti-malware software? Logs? Firewall settings? Logs? Event viewer? There
> are only about a hundred or so things that can cause problems like this... <g>
>
> --
> John McGaw
> http://johnmcgaw.com

Chuck [MVP]

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:09:24 -0400, "lookingforanswers" <khl@indy.net> wrote:

>To use some features on the Nascar.com web site, you need to log in through
>https://secure.audience.nascar.com. Problem is, the site can't be reached or
>pinged. Increasing ping time generates nothing but timeout errors. Something
>in the computer is blocking it from reaching that web address, whether it's
>entered as a name or a numeric address. This problem happens with four
>different web browsers - IE8, Firefox 3, Chrome and Safari.
>
>It's a Gateway laptop with Vista SP1. It happens with a LAN connection. WiFi
>and Ev-Do. The web address is available on one machine with an identical
>WiFi link but not with the Gateway laptop.
>
>Here are some of the attempts to solve the problem that have failed:
>
>Resetting TCP/IP stack.
>Switching DNS server.
>Removing Norton Internet Security 2008.
>Shutting down Windows Defender.
>Running the computer with no firewall.
>Removing and reinstalling network adapters and reinstalling drivers.
>Running Vista in safe mode with networking.
>Removing all temporary files and history.
>Adding the domain to the IE trusted sites list.
>
>The secure.audience.nascar.com address and the nascar.com domain are not
>blocked in the Hosts list.
>
>NASCAR tech support has no idea what's going on.
>Several checks of other web sites and Microsoft's online support on problems
>with accessing https secure sites have turned up no problems with accessing
>that site.
>
>The Gateway has no trouble accessing several other https secure sites, but
>can not reach secure.audience.nascar.com.
>
>The computer has no trouble reaching any other web sites with any of the
>three Internet connections it uses. Only this one site can not be reached.
>
>Other "fixes" that didn't work:
>
>Changing security settings in IE.
>Re-registering DLLs.
>Creating a second user account.
>
>Device manager shows no problems with network adapters.
>Malware scans show no problems.
>Virus scans show no problems.
>"netsh interface tcp set global autotuning" changes do not work.
>Switching off the https requirement for trusted sites in IE does not work.
>Running IE as an admiminstrator does not work.
>Changing the assignment of an automatic IP address does not work.

Check the MTU setting.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007...le-server.html

And check Auto Tuning and other Scalable Networking features.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2008...etworking.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]