Network Defaulting to Adhoc

T. Jenkins

Network Defaulting to Adhoc
I'm having a problem connecting to a wireless network in an office where I'm
working as a consultant. The network is specifically for guests, and I used
it in the past. Not sure what changed, but about a week ago it stopped
working.

One thing that looks suspicious to me is that the network type is coming up
as "adhoc (peer-to-peer)." I've checked with the IT person here, who doesn't
really support Vista, but he said it should be Infrastructure DHCP.

Here's what I'm doing. I search for the network, find the one I need, and
hit Connect. It goes through the process of connecting, but fails in the
"Waiting for Association" section. When I hit close, I see the network type
as Adhoc.

I try to change it to Infrastrucure, but an error pops up telling me "DHCP
IP configuration not supported for adhoc connection. Use static IP
configuration."

Can anyone offer any help on this?

Thanks
Jack-MVP

Re: Network Defaulting to Adhoc
Hi
If your Wireless can log to other Infrastructure Wireless Networks, then I
would doubt the info provided by the IT person.
In any case look at the Wireless preferred list, and clean it up before you
try again.
http://www.ezlan.net/vista/vista_wlist.jpg
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"T. Jenkins" <TJenkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem connecting to a wireless network in an office where
> I'm
> working as a consultant. The network is specifically for guests, and I
> used
> it in the past. Not sure what changed, but about a week ago it stopped
> working.
>
> One thing that looks suspicious to me is that the network type is coming
> up
> as "adhoc (peer-to-peer)." I've checked with the IT person here, who
> doesn't
> really support Vista, but he said it should be Infrastructure DHCP.
>
> Here's what I'm doing. I search for the network, find the one I need, and
> hit Connect. It goes through the process of connecting, but fails in the
> "Waiting for Association" section. When I hit close, I see the network
> type
> as Adhoc.
>
> I try to change it to Infrastrucure, but an error pops up telling me "DHCP
> IP configuration not supported for adhoc connection. Use static IP
> configuration."
>
> Can anyone offer any help on this?
>
> Thanks

T. Jenkins

Re: Network Defaulting to Adhoc
Thanks for the tip. I did cleanup my preferred wireless list, removing all
but my home network. Turned the wireless back on, and experienced the same
problem.

Is there any other troubleshooting steps I could use to help narrow the
potential issues? I'm being sensitive to the fact that the IT person isn't
really responsible for helping me out, and I want to be efficient with his
time.

Any additional tips would be appreciated.

"Jack-MVP" wrote:

> Hi
> If your Wireless can log to other Infrastructure Wireless Networks, then I
> would doubt the info provided by the IT person.
> In any case look at the Wireless preferred list, and clean it up before you
> try again.
> http://www.ezlan.net/vista/vista_wlist.jpg
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "T. Jenkins" <TJenkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having a problem connecting to a wireless network in an office where
> > I'm
> > working as a consultant. The network is specifically for guests, and I
> > used
> > it in the past. Not sure what changed, but about a week ago it stopped
> > working.
> >
> > One thing that looks suspicious to me is that the network type is coming
> > up
> > as "adhoc (peer-to-peer)." I've checked with the IT person here, who
> > doesn't
> > really support Vista, but he said it should be Infrastructure DHCP.
> >
> > Here's what I'm doing. I search for the network, find the one I need, and
> > hit Connect. It goes through the process of connecting, but fails in the
> > "Waiting for Association" section. When I hit close, I see the network
> > type
> > as Adhoc.
> >
> > I try to change it to Infrastrucure, but an error pops up telling me "DHCP
> > IP configuration not supported for adhoc connection. Use static IP
> > configuration."
> >
> > Can anyone offer any help on this?
> >
> > Thanks

T. Jenkins

Re: Network Defaulting to Adhoc
I'm still struggling with this problem, and wanted to see if anyone had any
other ideas. I just met with the IT support person, but because they don't
support Vista, there's very little he can do. We went to a different floor
to make sure the problem wasn't associated with just one floor, but the same
thing happened again.

He mentioned that they use Intel (I think) networking software, and asked
what I was using. I haven't changed anything on this, so I believe it is MS
software for managing wireless networking. Is there a chance that different
software would help? If so, any suggestions on sources?

Thanks,