Auto share removable hard drive

Bill Volz

Auto share removable hard drive
Everytime I plugin my portable hard drive I need to create a new share and
set the permissions. Is there anyway to have vista remember the share so
everytime I mount the drive it sets this automatically.

Jack-MVP

Re: Auto share removable hard drive
Hi
When the Drive is plugged in Drill to Control Panel, Computer Management.
Click on Disk Management, right click on the removable drive, and change its
drive letter assignment to high letter (like N. By doing so the Drive
would not compete on the lower letter and would assume always the same
identity. Set the share for the new letter.
http://www.ezlan.net/example/dsk_mang.jpg
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Bill Volz" <bill@quiksoft.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I plugin my portable hard drive I need to create a new share and
> set the permissions. Is there anyway to have vista remember the share so
> everytime I mount the drive it sets this automatically.

3f032

Re: Auto share removable hard drive

Hey i have a external drive connected to my computer (Running Vista Home
Premium 32bit) and im trying to connect it to a network so anyone on the
network can access it, but on all other computers it says that
Permission is Denied.
Can anyone help me?

--
3f032
Bill Volz

Re: Auto share removable hard drive
There are 3 things you need to do. 1. Make sure file sharing is enabled in
the networking and sharing cetner. 2. Right click the directory go to
properties and create a share, give it the correct share permissions. 3.
Choose the security tab and set the file permission for the directory/files.

If you are not using the everyone account to give open access try to add the
share as a mapped network drive on the other machine, when doing this choose
the "use different user" option and type in the remote credentials.
Sometimes I will get an access denied error when I try to access are secure
share without mapping it first. I think instead of asking for new
credentials like it should vista often try's to use the local account.

"3f032" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hey i have a external drive connected to my computer (Running Vista Home
> Premium 32bit) and im trying to connect it to a network so anyone on the
> network can access it, but on all other computers it says that
> Permission is Denied.
> Can anyone help me?
>

> --
> 3f032