3 Vista Computers, 1 with error message 0x80070005

Don

3 Vista Computers, 1 with error message 0x80070005
Hello,
I am trying to network 3 computers all running Vista.
Computer 1 can access the shared files on computer 2 and 3.
Computer 2 can access the shared files on computers 1 and 3.
Computer 3 can access on computer 2 but not 1.

Computer 3 when it opens up computer 1 it can see the shared items (with the
pipeline), but when you double click it denies access as folllows:

Windoes cannot access\\computer1\c
Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your
network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

Click See details>
error code 0x80070005
Access is denied.

Click Diagnose>
c was available but the user account you are logged on with was denied
access.

I have permissions set up on computer 1 correctly because computer 2 can
access shared files on computer1.

I am running all computers as administrator.

Any solutions,
TIA
Don

Malke

Re: 3 Vista Computers, 1 with error message 0x80070005
Don wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to network 3 computers all running Vista.
> Computer 1 can access the shared files on computer 2 and 3.
> Computer 2 can access the shared files on computers 1 and 3.
> Computer 3 can access on computer 2 but not 1.
>
> Computer 3 when it opens up computer 1 it can see the shared items (with
> the pipeline), but when you double click it denies access as folllows:
>
> Windoes cannot access\\computer1\c
> Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with
> your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click
> Diagnose.
>
> Click See details>
> error code 0x80070005
> Access is denied.
>
> Click Diagnose>
> c was available but the user account you are logged on with was denied
> access.

You probably have forgotten to create matching user accounts/passwords on
all your computers. See below.

Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Note: You should also not be running as administrator for daily work. This
is insecure and unnecessary in Vista. Instead:

You absolutely do not want to have only one user account. You particularly
don't want only one user account with administrative privileges on Vista
because the built-in Administrator account (normally only used in
emergencies) is disabled by default. You should create at minimum two user
accounts: one standard user account that you will use for your daily work
and two administrative accounts for permissions and emergencies. In your
case, create the administrative account - call it "Tech" or "CompAdmin" or
the like - log into it, and change your daily accounts to Standard Users.

If you want to go directly to the Desktop and skip the Welcome Screen with
the icons of user accounts, review the method at MVP Ramesh's link above.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Don Begezda

> Don wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am trying to network 3 computers all running Vista.
>> Computer 1 can access the shared files on computer 2 and 3.
>> Computer 2 can access the shared files on computers 1 and 3.
>> Computer 3 can access on computer 2 but not 1.
>>
>> Computer 3 when it opens up computer 1 it can see the shared items (with
>> the pipeline), but when you double click it denies access as folllows:
>>
>> Windoes cannot access\\computer1\c
>> Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with
>> your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click
>> Diagnose.
>>
>> Click See details>
>> error code 0x80070005
>> Access is denied.
>>
>> Click Diagnose>
>> c was available but the user account you are logged on with was denied
>> access.

> You probably have forgotten to create matching user accounts/passwords on
> all your computers. See below.
>
> Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
> need
> to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
> assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords
> just
> need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE
> PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot
> directly
> to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you
> can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:
>
> Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
>
> Note: You should also not be running as administrator for daily work. This
> is insecure and unnecessary in Vista. Instead:
>
> You absolutely do not want to have only one user account. You particularly
> don't want only one user account with administrative privileges on Vista
> because the built-in Administrator account (normally only used in
> emergencies) is disabled by default. You should create at minimum two user
> accounts: one standard user account that you will use for your daily work
> and two administrative accounts for permissions and emergencies. In your
> case, create the administrative account - call it "Tech" or "CompAdmin" or
> the like - log into it, and change your daily accounts to Standard Users.
>
> If you want to go directly to the Desktop and skip the Welcome Screen with
> the icons of user accounts, review the method at MVP Ramesh's link above.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

I have set up 3 identical accounts on all machines. ComputerAdmin, Don, and
Guest.
It still is not allowing access.
Any help?
Thanks,
Don

Don Begezda

"Don Begezda" <don.begezda@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> [...]

>> user
>> accounts: one standard user account that you will use for your daily work
>> and two administrative accounts for permissions and emergencies. In your
>> case, create the administrative account - call it "Tech" or "CompAdmin"
>> or
>> the like - log into it, and change your daily accounts to Standard Users.
>>
>> If you want to go directly to the Desktop and skip the Welcome Screen
>> with
>> the icons of user accounts, review the method at MVP Ramesh's link above.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP
>> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
>> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

> I have set up 3 identical accounts on all machines. ComputerAdmin, Don,

OK, I can access the shared files while logged on as "Don" , but not while
logged on as ComputerAdmin.
Help still appreciated.
Don

harjafsormok

Re: 3 Vista Computers, 1 with error message 0x80070005

Hi,

I'm having similar problems with the Error Message 0x80070005.

I have 2 desktop computers and a laptop connected to the same network.
"COMP1" - main server
"COMP2" - connected wirelessly
"LAP" - connected wirelessly

"COMP1" can seem to access all shared folders and files from "COMP2"
and "LAP" (without any similar user accounts created on "COMP2" &
"LAP"). "LAP" can access "COMP2" 's user files but not "COMP1" 's.
"COMP2" on the other hand can't access any of "COMP1" 's or "LAP" 's
files and folders. How is this so?

All permissions have been double checked; and all Networking & Sharing
Properties have been assigned. What is there left to do?

Creating similar accounts on both "COMP1" & "COMP2" has been tried.
Unfortunately the problem is still there. Any further assistance?

Thanks in advance,
Cesc

--
harjafsormok

:geek:

Don Begezda wrote:

> OK, I can access the shared files while logged on as "Don" , but not while
> logged on as ComputerAdmin.
> Help still appreciated.
> Don

Did you assign passwords? If not, please do so. This link may help further
with Vista sharing:

Malke

: Don Begezda wrote:
:
: > OK, I can access the shared files while logged on as "Don" , but not
while
: > logged on as ComputerAdmin.
: > Help still appreciated.
: > Don
:
: Did you assign passwords? If not, please do so. This link may help further
: with Vista sharing:
:
: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
:
: Malke
:
All users have assigned passwords.

Don Begezda wrote:

> : > OK, I can access the shared files while logged on as "Don" , but not
> while
> : > logged on as ComputerAdmin.
> : > Help still appreciated.
> : > Don
> :
> : Did you assign passwords? If not, please do so. This link may help
> : further with Vista sharing:
> :
> : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

> All users have assigned passwords.

If you can access shared files while logged on as one user but not another,
then either there is a problem with the user name, user passwords not
matching, or permissions on the share. Since I can't see your computer,
you'll need to double-check all of that.

Make sure your user account was not simply renamed "ComputerAdmin" and the
underlying account isn't something different. This commonly happens on OEM
machines where the actual user account is something like "HP_Administrator"
or "Owner" and the user renames it instead of creating a new account with
their name. Check all machines for typos.

Remove the passwords and recreate them. You may have made a typo.

Check permissions. The TechNet link I gave you (quoted above) shows clearly
how to set advanced permissions so that Everyone (which means every account
on the local system) can access a share.

Malke

> Don Begezda wrote:
>

>> : > OK, I can access the shared files while logged on as "Don" , but not
>> while
>> : > logged on as ComputerAdmin.
>> : > Help still appreciated.
>> : > Don
>> :
>> : Did you assign passwords? If not, please do so. This link may help
>> : further with Vista sharing:
>> :
>> : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

>> All users have assigned passwords.

> If you can access shared files while logged on as one user but not
> another,
> then either there is a problem with the user name, user passwords not
> matching, or permissions on the share. Since I can't see your computer,
> you'll need to double-check all of that.
>
> Make sure your user account was not simply renamed "ComputerAdmin" and the
> underlying account isn't something different. This commonly happens on OEM
> machines where the actual user account is something like
> "HP_Administrator"
> or "Owner" and the user renames it instead of creating a new account with
> their name.

How do I manage this underlying account vs. renamed account? In other words
how do I know which account might have an underlying account? How do I find
this on the computers? BTW, this is all very confusing. Don

Don Begezda wrote:

> How do I manage this underlying account vs. renamed account? In other
> words how do I know which account might have an underlying account? How do
> I find
> this on the computers? BTW, this is all very confusing. Don

Assuming your Windows install is on C:, look in C:\Users and you'll see all
the user accounts on the system. These will show the true names. But I
would think that you would remember if you did this; i.e., went to Control
Panel>User Accounts and changed a name instead of creating a new account. I
only mentioned it to be thorough.

Malke