Says "Local Only" but seems to work fine (FiOS related?)

Colin

Says "Local Only" but seems to work fine (FiOS related?)
If I hover the mouse over the networking icon in the system tray on Vista
computers on my FiOS network, it sometimes says "Local Only." Networking and
Sharing Center shows a red X between the router and the Internet. Restarting
usually shows them as properly connected to the Internet. Eventually, though
(usually about 30 minutes to hours later), it will lose that and revert to
Local Only.

Diangnose and Repair doesn't change anything. In fact, Windows usually
reports back, "Windows did not find any problems with your Internet
connection." Sometimes it says that TCP settings are incompatible. I let it
change them, but the Local Only problem is still there and a subsequent
Diagnose and Repair then always gives the same "Windows did not find any
problems..." report.

Some of those machines are laptops. I never have this problem when I bring
those laptops to other networks (office wired or Wi-Fi, airport Wi-Fi,
etc.). This seems to be limited to my home FiOS network.

Note that as far as I can tell from using the system, it does have Internet
access. Web browsing, e-mail, GoToMyPC, VPN, all seem to work fine. My main
concern is that this "Local Only" report is a symptom of something more
serious. If it's just a known bug in the Vista system to determine if it has
Internet access, I guess I could ignore it.

Is this a universal problem with FiOS? I see a lot of people seem to have
issues with the Actiontec router.

Should I care, given that I do seem to have Internet access (is this a
symptom of something more serious, or just a bug in Vista's network
analysis)?

Thanks for any insight or guidance,
Colin

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Says "Local Only" but seems to work fine (FiOS related?)
Is this multihomed computer? Posting the result of ipconfig /all here may
help. Or check this link:
Vista Local Only and Limited or Not Connectivity
Vista Local Only and Limited or No Connectivity. Limited connectivity
with Vista notebook · Vista Limited connectivity · Vista: Local only - no
Internet ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Colin" <colin@nospam123meritgames.com> wrote in message
> If I hover the mouse over the networking icon in the system tray on Vista
> computers on my FiOS network, it sometimes says "Local Only." Networking
> and Sharing Center shows a red X between the router and the Internet.
> Restarting usually shows them as properly connected to the Internet.
> Eventually, though (usually about 30 minutes to hours later), it will lose
> that and revert to Local Only.
>
> Diangnose and Repair doesn't change anything. In fact, Windows usually
> reports back, "Windows did not find any problems with your Internet
> connection." Sometimes it says that TCP settings are incompatible. I let
> it change them, but the Local Only problem is still there and a subsequent
> Diagnose and Repair then always gives the same "Windows did not find any
> problems..." report.
>
> Some of those machines are laptops. I never have this problem when I bring
> those laptops to other networks (office wired or Wi-Fi, airport Wi-Fi,
> etc.). This seems to be limited to my home FiOS network.
>
> Note that as far as I can tell from using the system, it does have
> Internet access. Web browsing, e-mail, GoToMyPC, VPN, all seem to work
> fine. My main concern is that this "Local Only" report is a symptom of
> something more serious. If it's just a known bug in the Vista system to
> determine if it has Internet access, I guess I could ignore it.
>
> Is this a universal problem with FiOS? I see a lot of people seem to have
> issues with the Actiontec router.
>
> Should I care, given that I do seem to have Internet access (is this a
> symptom of something more serious, or just a bug in Vista's network
> analysis)?
>
> Thanks for any insight or guidance,
> Colin

Colin

Re: Says "Local Only" but seems to work fine (FiOS related?)
Not multi-homed. Single gateway, NIC, and subnet - the router has a very
common 192.168.1.1 IP#.

I looked at those web pages, but they seem to actually not work. My problem
may just be a bug in the Vista's ability to tell if it has a connection, as
(at least as far as I can tell), I always do have Internet access, even
though it says "Local only." My concern, especially because this comes and
goes, is that this is a symptom of some larger problem.

Is anyone else running FiOS and having similar problems? I am on my second
router from Verizon, but that didn't seem to make any difference. I do have
the same problem on multiple Vista computers on my network.

Thanks,
Colin

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> Is this multihomed computer? Posting the result of ipconfig /all here may
> help. Or check this link:
> Vista Local Only and Limited or Not Connectivity
> Vista Local Only and Limited or No Connectivity. Limited connectivity
> with Vista notebook · Vista Limited connectivity · Vista: Local only - no
> Internet ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Colin" <colin@nospam123meritgames.com> wrote in message
>> If I hover the mouse over the networking icon in the system tray on Vista
>> computers on my FiOS network, it sometimes says "Local Only." Networking
>> and Sharing Center shows a red X between the router and the Internet.
>> Restarting usually shows them as properly connected to the Internet.
>> Eventually, though (usually about 30 minutes to hours later), it will
>> lose that and revert to Local Only.
>>
>> Diangnose and Repair doesn't change anything. In fact, Windows usually
>> reports back, "Windows did not find any problems with your Internet
>> connection." Sometimes it says that TCP settings are incompatible. I let
>> it change them, but the Local Only problem is still there and a
>> subsequent Diagnose and Repair then always gives the same "Windows did
>> not find any problems..." report.
>>
>> Some of those machines are laptops. I never have this problem when I
>> bring those laptops to other networks (office wired or Wi-Fi, airport
>> Wi-Fi, etc.). This seems to be limited to my home FiOS network.
>>
>> Note that as far as I can tell from using the system, it does have
>> Internet access. Web browsing, e-mail, GoToMyPC, VPN, all seem to work
>> fine. My main concern is that this "Local Only" report is a symptom of
>> something more serious. If it's just a known bug in the Vista system to
>> determine if it has Internet access, I guess I could ignore it.
>>
>> Is this a universal problem with FiOS? I see a lot of people seem to have
>> issues with the Actiontec router.
>>
>> Should I care, given that I do seem to have Internet access (is this a
>> symptom of something more serious, or just a bug in Vista's network
>> analysis)?
>>
>> Thanks for any insight or guidance,
>> Colin

Michael Walraven

Re: Says "Local Only" but seems to work fine (FiOS related?)
I have seen several complaints on this subject. It also happens to me. Seems
to be only cosmetic, actual internet access appears to work just fine
(currently do not have globe on the lower right icon). It is almost 'normal'
response on my machine when coming out of sleep.

Vista Home premium, SP1, all patches automatic.
FIOS (but don't think that has anything to do with problem)
NETGEAR WGT624v3 wireless 4-port router

I have tried a couple of things. For instance making my IP address fixed so
that there is no renewal of IP after the wakeup. Nothing I tried had any
effect.

(physically unplugging then plugging the cable back in does get the globe
back for me, but not practical for the way my wiring is)

I have just come to accept the way it works.

Michael

> [...]
>>> not find any problems..." report.
>>>
>>> Some of those machines are laptops. I never have this problem when I
>>> bring those laptops to other networks (office wired or Wi-Fi, airport
>>> Wi-Fi, etc.). This seems to be limited to my home FiOS network.
>>>
>>> Note that as far as I can tell from using the system, it does have
>>> Internet access. Web browsing, e-mail, GoToMyPC, VPN, all seem to work
>>> fine. My main concern is that this "Local Only" report is a symptom of
>>> something more serious. If it's just a known bug in the Vista system to
>>> determine if it has Internet access, I guess I could ignore it.
>>>
>>> Is this a universal problem with FiOS? I see a lot of people seem to
>>> have issues with the Actiontec router.
>>>
>>> Should I care, given that I do seem to have Internet access (is this a
>>> symptom of something more serious, or just a bug in Vista's network

Colin

Re: Says "Local Only" but seems to work fine (FiOS related?)
Maybe that's true.

I must point out that at least in my experience, it's limited to my FiOS
connection. I use Wi-Fi connections for business all over the country and
only have this experience at my house over my FiOS line and Actiontec
router.

It would be nice to have some diagnostic tools in the OS to determine why
it's not working, or, if it's really purely cosmetic (hard to believe given
how specifically tied to FiOS it seems to be), get rid ot it so as not to
confuse us.

- Colin