Odd Broadband Speed Problem

pbl

Odd Broadband Speed Problem
I have a wireless home network that permits sharing a fast broadband
connection between three computers, usually at separate times. Yesterday
after starting up my main laptop, I noticed the broadband speed was slow.
Testing the speed, it is one tenth of the speed I normally get. I checked
the two other computers assuming is was an ISP issue but the broadband speed
was normal. Diagnose and Repair revealed no network problem. On further
testing, if I restart in safe mode with networking, my broadband speed
returns to normal. When I restart Vista in normal mode again the speed is
throttled. There are no other apps that I am aware of that are using the
connection as my network meter gadget shows zero activity. I also disabled
my antivirus software to no effect. I'm not sure what else to try at this
stage. I have not installed any software in recent times so I'm not sure a
system restore would be of any help. Any ideas?? Thanks - pbl.

Malke

Re: Odd Broadband Speed Problem
pbl wrote:

> I have a wireless home network that permits sharing a fast broadband
> connection between three computers, usually at separate times. Yesterday
> after starting up my main laptop, I noticed the broadband speed was slow.
> Testing the speed, it is one tenth of the speed I normally get. I checked
> the two other computers assuming is was an ISP issue but the broadband
> speed was normal. Diagnose and Repair revealed no network problem. On
> further testing, if I restart in safe mode with networking, my broadband
> speed returns to normal. When I restart Vista in normal mode again the
> speed is throttled. There are no other apps that I am aware of that are
> using the connection as my network meter gadget shows zero activity. I
> also disabled my antivirus software to no effect. I'm not sure what else
> to try at this stage. I have not installed any software in recent times so
> I'm not sure a system restore would be of any help. Any ideas?? Thanks -
> pbl.

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what changed
between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

Malke
--
MS-MVP