Can't view XP computers on Vista Notebook

RickW

Can't view XP computers on Vista Notebook
I have been trying to hook up my new laptop(Vista) to my existing network
which has all XP computers. I was told it would be very simple, someone lied!

This is what I know about the configuration:

D-Link Wireless Router (although I am using it wired for this laptop)
3 PCs ( 1 is acting as server) all running XP
printer is connected to 1 of the other PCs
This laptop running Vista, I have follwed all of the file and print sharing
steps for workgroup and name, I can't turn on Printer sharing because there
is no printewr hooked to this machine.

I do get connectivity as I have internet, I just can't access the shared
files or printer on the other 3 machines. They are not visible at all.

Thanks in advance, Rick
oscar

RE: Can't view XP computers on Vista Notebook
You don't state whether XP's can "see" Vista. Are these XP Pro's?

Anyways here some Vista networking basics that work for me everytime.

There are two basic operations in setting up a Vista home network: Setting
up the local workgroup and setting up file sharing.

Setting up local workgroup:
1. On Vista Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Click Network and Internet.
4. Click Network and Sharing Center.
5. Select the settings that you would like to use.
Suggested these basic settings for Vista:
Network discovery – ON (make sure Work Group is same name on XP and Vista)
File Sharing – ON
Public folder sharing – ON
Printer Sharing – ON if printer is connected to Vista. If no printer then
OFF. Vista will be able print to printer that is attached to other computers
even if Vista Print Sharing is OFF.

Setting up file sharing:
In Vista for sharing users folder, highlight Folder that you want to share >
click on Share on Windows toolbar > Change Sharing Permissions > add Everyone

OR

right click Folder that you want to share > properties> Sharing tab >
Advanced Sharing > Permissions > add Everyone

Also: You may need to run the Network Wizard and file sharing on the XP.

Also, look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

"RickW" wrote:

> I have been trying to hook up my new laptop(Vista) to my existing network
> which has all XP computers. I was told it would be very simple, someone lied!
>
> This is what I know about the configuration:
>
> D-Link Wireless Router (although I am using it wired for this laptop)
> 3 PCs ( 1 is acting as server) all running XP
> printer is connected to 1 of the other PCs
> This laptop running Vista, I have follwed all of the file and print sharing
> steps for workgroup and name, I can't turn on Printer sharing because there
> is no printewr hooked to this machine.
>
> I do get connectivity as I have internet, I just can't access the shared
> files or printer on the other 3 machines. They are not visible at all.
>
> Thanks in advance, Rick

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Can't view XP computers on Vista Notebook
Hi
Maybe this can Help, successful Sharing involves some general consideration
in Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -