Cannot connect to device, pls help going insane

nicke1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannot connect to device, pls help going insane
Hi,

My set-up is very simple yet I cannot connect to a device.

I have a Router which has three connections via ethernet.

1. Vista Machine
2. XP Machine
3. Music Server (systemline)

The problem I have is that my Vista machine will not connect to the music server - I cannot see the shared folders.

My XP machine connects to it no problem, e.g. if I enter the location (
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot connect to device, pls help going insane
Can you ping music server by IP? If yes, can you ping it by name?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"nicke1" <nicke1.3m3q82@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> My set-up is very simple yet I cannot connect to a device.
>
> I have a Router which has three connections via ethernet.
>
> 1. Vista Machine
> 2. XP Machine
> 3. Music Server (systemline)
>
> The problem I have is that my Vista machine will not connect to the
> music server - I cannot see the shared folders.
>

> My XP machine connects to it no problem, e.g. if I enter the location (
>

> --
> nicke1

nicke1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cannot connect to device, pls help going insane
Sorry yes.

I originally confirmed this in my opening post but half of that post seems to have been truncated.

Yes, from my Vista machine I get a response piinging the music servers IP address and name (SYSTEMLINE).

From my XP machine I can simply enter the share folder to Explorer or map a network drive and it works (e.g. \\systemline\media)

Thanks
Nick
Steve Pearce

Re: Cannot connect to device, pls help going insane
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:51:32 +0000, nicke1
<nicke1.3m42od@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>From my XP machine I can simply enter the share folder to Explorer or
>map a network drive and it works (e.g. '\\systemline\media'
>(file://\\systemline\media))

Try using "\\<ip_address>\media"

nicke1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cannot connect to device, pls help going insane
This doesn't work either.

Just tried \\192.168.0.2\media in IE and Explorer and both return an error (Windows cannot access \\192.168.0.2\media check the spelling, etc. etc.)

Thanks
Nick
Malke

nicke1 wrote:

> This doesn't work either.
>
> Just tried '\\192.168.0.2\media' (file://\\192.168.0.2\media) in IE and
> Explorer and both return an error (Windows cannot access
> '\\192.168.0.2\media' (file://\\192.168.0.2\media) check the spelling,
> etc. etc.)

What operating system is the music server running? Is this a media appliance
or a desktop computer you built/bought?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

nicke1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cannot connect to device, pls help going insane
Hi,

Yes, it's a media appliance.

I asked the manufacturer and they stated that the OS is not 'recognizable'.

Why would XP be able to connect where Vista cannot?
Malke

nicke1 wrote:

> Yes, it's a media appliance.
>
> I asked the manufacturer and they stated that the OS is not
> 'recognizable'.
>
> Why would XP be able to connect where Vista cannot?

I suspect that the media appliance is running some form of embedded Linux.
First check for any firmware updates for the appliance. Then make this
change on Vista:

Vista Business/Ultimate only -
Start Orb>Search box>type: secpol.msc
When secpol.msc appears in Results above, right-click it and "run as
administrator".

Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"
and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows Vista sets
the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down arrow to change
this to "LM and NTLM ? use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per MVP Steve Winograd,
do:

1. Run the registry editor and open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

XP doesn't have the stronger security that Vista does in this area and
that's why it works with the media server.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

nicke1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cannot connect to device, pls help going insane
Excellent many thanks for the reply. I'm away on business now but will try as soon as I return and post back the results.

Nick

[...]

FAQ - index[/quote]

nicke1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cannot connect to device, pls help going insane
Fantastic, it worked.

I changed LmCompatibilityLevel from it's existing value of 3 to 1. After reboot I could connect no problem to the systemline music server.

Many thanks for your help.
Nick