Only see 1 PC

desgnr

Only see 1 PC
I am trying to network 2 Dell Pc's
Desktop running Windows Vista Home Premium.
Laptop running Windows XP Home.

On the desktop i can see the Laptop.

But on the Laptop i don't see the Desktop.

How can i see the desktop on the Laptop ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
Malke

Re: Only see 1 PC
desgnr wrote:

> I am trying to network 2 Dell Pc's
> Desktop running Windows Vista Home Premium.
> Laptop running Windows XP Home.
>
> On the desktop i can see the Laptop.
>
> But on the Laptop i don't see the Desktop.
>
> How can i see the desktop on the Laptop ?

Probably a misconfigured firewall and/or missing user accounts and/or
passwords.

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

AJR

Re: Only see 1 PC
For XP to "see" the Vista computer LLTD must be installed - see following:

KB 922120 - LLTD (Link Layer Topology Discovery) protocol support ...

"desgnr" <desgnr@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>I am trying to network 2 Dell Pc's
> Desktop running Windows Vista Home Premium.
> Laptop running Windows XP Home.
>
> On the desktop i can see the Laptop.
>
> But on the Laptop i don't see the Desktop.
>
> How can i see the desktop on the Laptop ?
> --
> Dell Inspiron
> Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
> 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
> Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

desgnr

Re: Only see 1 PC
It says this download is for a Vista pc to see XP
My desktop vista can see the xp laptop
The XP laptop cannot see the Vista desktop.
"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> For XP to "see" the Vista computer LLTD must be installed - see following:
>
> KB 922120 - LLTD (Link Layer Topology Discovery) protocol support ...
>

> "desgnr" <desgnr@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>I am trying to network 2 Dell Pc's
>> Desktop running Windows Vista Home Premium.
>> Laptop running Windows XP Home.
>>
>> On the desktop i can see the Laptop.
>>
>> But on the Laptop i don't see the Desktop.
>>
>> How can i see the desktop on the Laptop ?
>> --
>> Dell Inspiron
>> Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
>> 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
>> Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

oscar

Re: Only see 1 PC
AJR's response is incorrect in this case.

--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...