Home Basic - VPN 691 error

Rob

Home Basic - VPN 691 error
I have a laptop running Vista Home Basic trying to create a PPTP VPN to a
Firebox 700 firewall. Every attempt to connect results in a 691 error -
username or password not valid. There are a number of computers running XP
and one running Vista Ultimate that have no problem creating the VPN. Does
anyone know of a reason that Home Basic can't/won't connect?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Home Basic - VPN 691 error
In most cases, VPN 691 is security issue. Have you tried different username?
Or this search result may help.
VPN error code
VPN error 619 - Case Study · Error 691 in RRAS after NIC changed ·
Receiving VPN error 619 while connecting to a VPN via SBC ...
www.chicagotech.net/vpnerrors.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop running Vista Home Basic trying to create a PPTP VPN to a
> Firebox 700 firewall. Every attempt to connect results in a 691 error -
> username or password not valid. There are a number of computers running
> XP
> and one running Vista Ultimate that have no problem creating the VPN.
> Does
> anyone know of a reason that Home Basic can't/won't connect?

Rob

Re: Home Basic - VPN 691 error
Yes, I have tried several usernames/passwords which I know are valid on the
firewall. I've also done a number of searches but haven't turned up anything
useful yet.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> In most cases, VPN 691 is security issue. Have you tried different username?
> Or this search result may help.
> VPN error code
> VPN error 619 - Case Study · Error 691 in RRAS after NIC changed ·
> Receiving VPN error 619 while connecting to a VPN via SBC ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vpnerrors.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a laptop running Vista Home Basic trying to create a PPTP VPN to a
> > Firebox 700 firewall. Every attempt to connect results in a 691 error -
> > username or password not valid. There are a number of computers running
> > XP
> > and one running Vista Ultimate that have no problem creating the VPN.
> > Does
> > anyone know of a reason that Home Basic can't/won't connect?

GTS

Re: Home Basic - VPN 691 error
I'm not familiar with that particular device, but some use the NTLM protocol
for PPTP VPN authentication and have a problem with NTLMv2 by default used
in Vista. The following registry change may help.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel

If the key doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel and set the value to 1,

OR save the following lines to .reg files and run it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa]
"LmCompatibilityLevel"=dword:00000001

--

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop running Vista Home Basic trying to create a PPTP VPN to a
> Firebox 700 firewall. Every attempt to connect results in a 691 error -
> username or password not valid. There are a number of computers running
> XP
> and one running Vista Ultimate that have no problem creating the VPN.
> Does
> anyone know of a reason that Home Basic can't/won't connect?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Home Basic - VPN 691 error
This post may help too.
Solved: Vista VPN error 691
In our case, only one user can establish the VPN. The second user will
receive Error 691. We find the router restrict only one VPN session. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=235