Vista / Win 7 box can access and copy share but not execute

Sir Timbit

Vista / Win 7 box can access and copy share but not execute
Hi all,

Trying to get a Vista / Win 7 laptop to access a share (e$) on another
laptop running XP Pro, so I can run various application installers stored
there. Other XP laptops have no problems mapping a drive and executing the
setup.exe stored there.

Whenever I try this on a Vista / Win 7 laptop, the laptop will map the
share. It *will* let me copy the files and folders over. But it *won't* let
me execute any exe stored on the mapped share. Is this UAC or some new
security setting unique to Vista / Win 7?

Again, no problem doing this on an XP box. It just seems odd that Vista/Win
7 will allow me to copy an installer folder to the local desktop, but it
won't let me run a program stored on the same share.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Sir_timbit

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista / Win 7 box can access and copy share but not execute
Yes, that may be the case. Or check this post.
There is a problem accessing exe ...
1 post - Last post: Dec 13, 2007
I have no idea why Vista won't copy the file. It appears > > (so > >
far) to be limited to exe files. I can copy other files without an ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2458

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Sir Timbit" <sir_timbit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Trying to get a Vista / Win 7 laptop to access a share (e$) on another
> laptop running XP Pro, so I can run various application installers stored
> there. Other XP laptops have no problems mapping a drive and executing the
> setup.exe stored there.
>
> Whenever I try this on a Vista / Win 7 laptop, the laptop will map the
> share. It *will* let me copy the files and folders over. But it *won't*
> let me execute any exe stored on the mapped share. Is this UAC or some new
> security setting unique to Vista / Win 7?
>
> Again, no problem doing this on an XP box. It just seems odd that
> Vista/Win 7 will allow me to copy an installer folder to the local
> desktop, but it won't let me run a program stored on the same share.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Sir_timbit

Sir Timbit

Re: Vista / Win 7 box can access and copy share but not execute
I'll try disabling UAC and see what happens. I thought I'd get a UAC prompt
if that was the problem.

Again, I can copy *all* files, including .exes, but it won't let me launch
an exe from a share. So that's not quite the same scenario as the posting
below. Very odd.

Thanks,
Sir_timbit