Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

RemoteDesktop

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2009
mrdjmagnet@aol.com
 

Posts: n/a
RemoteDesktop
I'm having an issue with Remote Desktop. I was using it fine
yesterday, then I closed it. I did not log off or anything, just
closed it via the 'X' on the tab.....

Now I cannot connect. I was on the computer at work, but I cannot get
on now. Did shutting it down like that leave something open? Maybe
it thinks I am still connected via my previous session?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2009
daleeh
 

Posts: n/a
Re: RemoteDesktop
You will probably need to restart the work computer to "clear" the
session you left open. Or, close the connection on the work computer
manually--which requires you be there physically to do that.
Otherwise, I can't think of any other way to do it.

Dale

On Jan 12, 4:51*pm, mrdjmag...@aol.com wrote:
> I'm having an issue with Remote Desktop. *I was using it fine
> yesterday, then I closed it. *I did not log off or anything, just
> closed it via the 'X' on the tab.....
>
> Now I cannot connect. *I was on the computer at work, but I cannot get
> on now. *Did shutting it down like that leave something open? *Maybe
> it thinks I am still connected via my previous session?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2009
mrdjmagnet@aol.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: RemoteDesktop
On Jan 12, 6:46*pm, daleeh <dale.e.harring...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You will probably need to restart the work computer to "clear" the
> session you left open. *Or, close the connection on the work computer
> manually--which requires you be there physically to do that.
> Otherwise, I can't think of any other way to do it.
>
> Dale
>
> On Jan 12, 4:51*pm, mrdjmag...@aol.com wrote:
>
>
>
> > I'm having an issue with Remote Desktop. *I was using it fine
> > yesterday, then I closed it. *I did not log off or anything, just
> > closed it via the 'X' on the tab.....

>
> > Now I cannot connect. *I was on the computer at work, but I cannot get
> > on now. *Did shutting it down like that leave something open? *Maybe
> > it thinks I am still connected via my previous session?- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


So, there is a 'proper' way to log off of Remote Desktop?


BTW: Another stupid bug/feature from Microsoft....
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2009
daleeh
 

Posts: n/a
Re: RemoteDesktop
Normally you would log off just like you would when actually on the
computer. If you don't want to "log off" you can also "disconnect".
Those are the only options when you click on the "Start" button on the
remote computer. I'm not familiar with the Vista version of RD, but
in XP (and server products too) if you simply close the remote control
window on the computer you are using to control the "remote" computer
you have not "told" the computer undergoing remote control that the
session has "closed". In most server versions of Windows, this
problem can be anticipated and compensated for by setting a finite
"time-out". So, on server remote desktop sessions, if the user simply
"walks away" from the computer, the server will automatically
disconnect the remote session as long as someone has configured it to
do so.

Maybe there is a way to configure Vista to automatically "time-out"
and disconnect after a period of inactivity, but I don't know how to
do it. Maybe someone else on the forum knows how.

However, it is never a good idea to simply "walk away" from a logged
in computer, so you should always log off when you are finished. Once
you properly log off, the window on your computer will automatically
close when it recieves the confirmation from the remote computer that
is is successfully logged off.

Dale


On Jan 12, 7:28*pm, mrdjmag...@aol.com wrote:
> On Jan 12, 6:46*pm, daleeh <dale.e.harring...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > You will probably need to restart the work computer to "clear" the
> > session you left open. *Or, close the connection on the work computer
> > manually--which requires you be there physically to do that.
> > Otherwise, I can't think of any other way to do it.

>
> > Dale

>
> > On Jan 12, 4:51*pm, mrdjmag...@aol.com wrote:

>
> > > I'm having an issue with Remote Desktop. *I was using it fine
> > > yesterday, then I closed it. *I did not log off or anything, just
> > > closed it via the 'X' on the tab.....

>
> > > Now I cannot connect. *I was on the computer at work, but I cannot get
> > > on now. *Did shutting it down like that leave something open? *Maybe
> > > it thinks I am still connected via my previous session?- Hide quoted text -

>
> > - Show quoted text -

>
> So, there is a 'proper' way to log off of Remote Desktop?
>
> BTW: *Another stupid bug/feature from Microsoft....- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2009
Zaphod Beeblebrox
 

Posts: n/a
Re: RemoteDesktop

<mrdjmagnet@aol.com> wrote in message
news:b381aea6-d36f-4cfd-971b-2245c6adc436@s9g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
>On Jan 12, 6:46 pm, daleeh <dale.e.harring...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 4:51 pm, mrdjmag...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> > I'm having an issue with Remote Desktop. I was using it fine
>> > yesterday, then I closed it. I did not log off or anything, just
>> > closed it via the 'X' on the tab.....

>>
>> > Now I cannot connect. I was on the computer at work, but I cannot
>> > get
>> > on now. Did shutting it down like that leave something open? Maybe
>> > it thinks I am still connected via my previous session?-

>>
>> You will probably need to restart the work computer to "clear" the
>> session you left open. Or, close the connection on the work computer
>> manually--which requires you be there physically to do that.
>> Otherwise, I can't think of any other way to do it.
>>
>> Dale
>>

>
>So, there is a 'proper' way to log off of Remote Desktop?
>
>
>BTW: Another stupid bug/feature from Microsoft....


What you are experiencing isn't normal. Using the 'X' to close Remote
Desktop allows you to leave the logon session active so you can leave
programs running but disconnect from the machine. It is a normal way of
ending a Remote Desktop session, and is the same as choosing Start -
Disconnect. You can (normally) then re-connect later either throught
Remote Desktop or log in locally and have the programs you left runing
still available.

in your case something is preventing the reconnection. It could be a
network problem between your work and remote PC, or it could be that
Vista has thrown a tantrum and needs to be restarted. Hard to say what
is wrong. What error are you getting, if any?

--
Zaphod

No matter where you go, there you are!


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RemoteDesktop: are admin privileges different? Beemer Biker microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 12-18-2008 10:21
PDA und Remotedesktop Rene Dauter microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.bedienung 0 06-12-2008 09:51
Remotedesktop blockiert Ingo Böttcher microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.netzwerk 3 01-28-2008 22:13
Remotedesktop einrichten Ruediger Lahl microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.sonstiges 4 01-01-2008 15:14
Remotedesktop Meldung Nicolas Bronke microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.sonstiges 4 07-30-2007 17:57




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:57.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120