connecting to wireless

lovall

connecting to wireless
Has anyone ever had a problem connecting up through a wireless router that is
set to secured using an Acer laptop that has Windows Vista?? I have no
problem here at home but cannot at my son's home.

--
Lars
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: connecting to wireless
Hi
When using Wireless the security has to be matched according to the
location.
It might be that at your son's home the security blocks you..
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
-------------------
The three above are Not considered safe.
Safe Starts here at WPA.
-------------------
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"lovall" <lovall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone ever had a problem connecting up through a wireless router that
> is
> set to secured using an Acer laptop that has Windows Vista?? I have no
> problem here at home but cannot at my son's home.
>
> --
> Lars

lovall

Re: connecting to wireless
Hi,
I used to have an HP6000 series laptop with Windows XP that connected up
fairly easily to my son's system which we set up. It is a Netgear router.
Now I have an Acer Extensa with Windows Vista and it would not connect to the
Internet through the same router. Infact we completely went through
resetting up his router but to no avail. Thought I would tell you all this
in case it offers any other insights into my problem.
--
Lars

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> When using Wireless the security has to be matched according to the
> location.
> It might be that at your son's home the security blocks you..
> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
> No Security
> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
> -------------------
> The three above are Not considered safe.
> Safe Starts here at WPA.
> -------------------
> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
> the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
> Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
> your Wireless hardware.
> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
> phrase.
> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible
> of one of the Wireless devices.
> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
> max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of
> WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can
> do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the
> device with a better one.
> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "lovall" <lovall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone ever had a problem connecting up through a wireless router that
> > is
> > set to secured using an Acer laptop that has Windows Vista?? I have no
> > problem here at home but cannot at my son's home.
> >
> > --
> > Lars

RalfG

Re: connecting to wireless
lovall wrote:
> Hi,
> I used to have an HP6000 series laptop with Windows XP that connected up
> fairly easily to my son's system which we set up. It is a Netgear router.
> Now I have an Acer Extensa with Windows Vista and it would not connect to the
> Internet through the same router. Infact we completely went through
> resetting up his router but to no avail. Thought I would tell you all this
> in case it offers any other insights into my problem.

Check into what make of wireless chipset is being used in the computers
and router and google for known incompatibilities. Some wifi chipsets
don't communicate well with different brands, or use proprietary
rangeboosting or speed boosting modes aren't compatible. Some brands use
security schemes that are incompatible with others and might only
connect with security turned off entirely.