Can't write file over network

Baxterl

Can't write file over network
My desktop Vista reads and writes files to my laptop over my private network.
The laptop reads but does not write back. Windows firewall is disabled,
McAffee is set to allow file writes from the network. The folder is shared
and security is wide open. Both computers have the same netwrk name. Password
protection is OFF. The error message is "Access denied."

After right button click on the folder and opening Properties, Read Only
button is blue. I can click it to transparent and Apply, it enters the
"unset read only" dialog and then turns transparent. But closing and
reopening the folder shows it returned to blue.

Any ideas? Linux?
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't write file over network
Are you logon both computers using the same username? If you logon the
username who logon desktop, can you write? If not, try clean boot for
troubleshooting.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Baxterl" <Baxterl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My desktop Vista reads and writes files to my laptop over my private
> network.
> The laptop reads but does not write back. Windows firewall is disabled,
> McAffee is set to allow file writes from the network. The folder is shared
> and security is wide open. Both computers have the same netwrk name.
> Password
> protection is OFF. The error message is "Access denied."
>
> After right button click on the folder and opening Properties, Read Only
> button is blue. I can click it to transparent and Apply, it enters the
> "unset read only" dialog and then turns transparent. But closing and
> reopening the folder shows it returned to blue.
>
> Any ideas? Linux?

Baxterl

Re: Can't write file over network
R,

I'm logged on with the same user name.

I tried a clean boot, now the desktop does not see the network, heavy sigh.
Normal boot: still does not see the network...

....L