Network/internet keeps dropping.

JMC05

Network/internet keeps dropping.

Hi,

first time i've posted, so if in the wrong area, please forgive me...

i'm running windows vista, and have been for the last year. the problem
i have is that since i have updated to SP1, my net connection keeps
dropping. the network symbol has a '!' over it and i have to click on
diagnose and repair and reset the network adapter. this happens mostly
when browsing the internet (on Firefox or IE) but sometimes happens
when i first start an online game up (cod or war etc).

i use a netgear router and have done for the past 3 years and never had
a problem. the net connection its self (on the router) does not drop and
therefore it has to be a problem with my computer (tested this while
having 2 computers running at same time and the connection only dropped
on the problem computer). when the connection drops, i cannot ping my
router (no lights on the router change - still states the net is
connected).

I've tried updating my Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter. however when
attempting to do this through Device Manager, it says its fully
up-to-date. even though the driver date is 17/4/07. I've attempted to
update this manually, but i either have to pay for it or I'm asked to
download device detective and asked to pay for the download... there
are no drivers on the windows updates for this... or at least don't
appear on the list.

can someone please help me here cos its getting on my nerves and the
only solution i can see so far is to uninstall SP1...

Thanks for any reply's.

JMC

--
JMC05
Malke

Re: Network/internet keeps dropping.
JMC05 wrote:

> i'm running windows vista, and have been for the last year. the problem
> i have is that since i have updated to SP1, my net connection keeps
> dropping. the network symbol has a '!' over it and i have to click on
> diagnose and repair and reset the network adapter. this happens mostly
> when browsing the internet (on Firefox or IE) but sometimes happens
> when i first start an online game up (cod or war etc).
>
> i use a netgear router and have done for the past 3 years and never had
> a problem. the net connection its self (on the router) does not drop and
> therefore it has to be a problem with my computer (tested this while
> having 2 computers running at same time and the connection only dropped
> on the problem computer). when the connection drops, i cannot ping my
> router (no lights on the router change - still states the net is
> connected).
>
> I've tried updating my Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter. however when
> attempting to do this through Device Manager, it says its fully
> up-to-date. even though the driver date is 17/4/07. I've attempted to
> update this manually, but i either have to pay for it or I'm asked to
> download device detective and asked to pay for the download... there
> are no drivers on the windows updates for this... or at least don't
> appear on the list.

You did a wonderful job explaining the situation and doing your
troubleshooting with the other computers. The only thing you left out is
whether this computer is a desktop or a laptop. If this is a desktop, I'd
disable the onboard NIC (the Rhine) and throw in a new PCI NIC that you
know will work with Vista. I just bought some NICs at NewEgg and they were
under $10 each so this is an inexpensive troubleshooting step.

If you have a laptop, then we can work further on it. You do *not* ever have
to pay for drivers so please don't go that route. Instead, post back with
the laptop make/model.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

JMC05

'Malke[_2_ Wrote:
> ;774744']JMC05 wrote:
> -
> i'm running windows vista, and have been for the last year. the
> problem
> i have is that since i have updated to SP1, my net connection keeps
> dropping. the network symbol has a '!' over it and i have to click on
> diagnose and repair and reset the network adapter. this happens
> mostly
> when browsing the internet (on Firefox or IE) but sometimes happens
> when i first start an online game up (cod or war etc).
>
> i use a netgear router and have done for the past 3 years and never
> had
> a problem. the net connection its self (on the router) does not drop
> and
> therefore it has to be a problem with my computer (tested this while
> having 2 computers running at same time and the connection only
> dropped
> on the problem computer). when the connection drops, i cannot ping my
> router (no lights on the router change - still states the net is
> connected).
>
> I've tried updating my Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter. however when
> attempting to do this through Device Manager, it says its fully
> up-to-date. even though the driver date is 17/4/07. I've attempted to
> update this manually, but i either have to pay for it or I'm asked to
> download device detective and asked to pay for the download... there
> are no drivers on the windows updates for this... or at least don't
> appear on the list.-
>
> You did a wonderful job explaining the situation and doing your
> troubleshooting with the other computers. The only thing you left out
> is
> whether this computer is a desktop or a laptop. If this is a desktop,
> I'd
> disable the onboard NIC (the Rhine) and throw in a new PCI NIC that
> you
> know will work with Vista. I just bought some NICs at NewEgg and they
> were
> under $10 each so this is an inexpensive troubleshooting step.
>
> If you have a laptop, then we can work further on it. You do *not* ever
> have
> to pay for drivers so please don't go that route. Instead, post back
> with
> the laptop make/model.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

thanks for the reply.

i'm using a desktop... i may try using something other than the onboard
card.

but if there is something i can do to try and fix it first it would be
nice.

i have a MSI board, but their main site required the driver detector
download... which is really crappy...

but i shall see if i can borrow one of something first and see if it
solves the problem. if not i'll have to think of something else...

Thanks

JMC

--
JMC05
JMC05

JMC05;774878 Wrote:
> thanks for the reply.
>
> i'm using a desktop... i may try using something other than the onboard
> card.
>
> but if there is something i can do to try and fix it first it would be
> nice.
>
> i have a MSI board, but their main site required the driver detector
> download... which is really crappy...
>
> but i shall see if i can borrow one of something first and see if it
> solves the problem. if not i'll have to think of something else...
>
> Thanks
>
> JMC

sorry to bring this up again, but i'm having trouble finding drivers
for my Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter, does anyone have a link or know
of a website where i can get the drivers without having to mess around
with downloading stupid programs...??

Completely stuck... thanks!

JMC

JMC05 wrote:

>> i'm using a desktop... i may try using something other than the onboard
>> card.
>>
>> but if there is something i can do to try and fix it first it would be
>> nice.
>>
>> i have a MSI board, but their main site required the driver detector
>> download... which is really crappy...
>>
>> but i shall see if i can borrow one of something first and see if it
>> solves the problem. if not i'll have to think of something else...

> sorry to bring this up again, but i'm having trouble finding drivers
> for my Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter, does anyone have a link or know
> of a website where i can get the drivers without having to mess around
> with downloading stupid programs...??

The only place to get drivers for your onboard NIC is from the motherboard
mftr. or the OEM's website if you have that sort of machine (Dell, HP,
etc.). If getting the drivers from the correct place doesn't solve the
issue, then try my first suggestion of disabling the onboard NIC and
putting in a PCI card.

I went to MSI's website and they do indeed want you to install something
called "Live Update Online" which is truly heinous. What if you're not
running Windows? What if you don't want to install their program? It is
apparently free, but who wants it? No one. I will never buy another MSI
board. Unfortunately, if you have a generic or home-built computer (and you
never said, so I can't guess), you need MSI drivers. You might do a Google
search for "drivers for [your specific motherboard]" and see if you can
find a third-party site like driverguide.com, but you have to be really
careful where you go. Another avenue is to Google for "[your specific NIC]
drivers Vista".

This is all an awful lot of trouble when you could just throw in a $10 PCI
NIC and find out if the NIC is even the cause of your original problem.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Dave Warren

Re: Network/internet keeps dropping.
In message <JMC05.3b0cf43@vistabanter.com> JMC05
<JMC05.3b0cf43@vistabanter.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>I've tried updating my Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter. however when
>attempting to do this through Device Manager, it says its fully
>up-to-date. even though the driver date is 17/4/07.

Do you have a brand and model number for the motherboard?
JMC05

Dave Warren;776880 Wrote:
> In message JMC05.3b0cf43@vistabanter.com JMC05
> JMC05.3b0cf43@vistabanter.com was claimed to have wrote:
> -
> I've tried updating my Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter. however when
> attempting to do this through Device Manager, it says its fully
> up-to-date. even though the driver date is 17/4/07.-
>
> Do you have a brand and model number for the motherboard?

firstly thanks for the replys.

the motherboard is a MSI brand and the model number is MS-7255.

its really strange, because all day it will drop randomly, then when it
gets past about 7pm and i normally have stopped doing my uni work by
this time and start doing some gaming, it works nps... only seen it
drop twice in a month after 7pm...

And to Malke

Thanks for the reply. they do 'make' you download the live-update
software, and it is free. but when i do, it says everything is
up-to-date. but i fail to see how drivers of some sort would not have
been bought out for a NIC in, what... almost 3 years?? but thanks
anyway.

Cheers

JMC

--
JMC05
Dave Warren

Re: Network/internet keeps dropping.
In message <JMC05.3b685be@vistabanter.com> JMC05
<JMC05.3b685be@vistabanter.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>Dave Warren;776880 Wrote:
>> In message JMC05.3b0cf43@vistabanter.com JMC05
>> JMC05.3b0cf43@vistabanter.com was claimed to have wrote:
>> -
>> I've tried updating my Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter. however when
>> attempting to do this through Device Manager, it says its fully
>> up-to-date. even though the driver date is 17/4/07.-
>>
>> Do you have a brand and model number for the motherboard?

>firstly thanks for the replys.
>
>the motherboard is a MSI brand and the model number is MS-7255.
>
>its really strange, because all day it will drop randomly, then when it
>gets past about 7pm and i normally have stopped doing my uni work by
>this time and start doing some gaming, it works nps... only seen it
>drop twice in a month after 7pm...
>

>And to Malke
>
>Thanks for the reply. they do 'make' you download the live-update
>software, and it is free. but when i do, it says everything is
>up-to-date. but i fail to see how drivers of some sort would not have
>been bought out for a NIC in, what... almost 3 years?? but thanks
>anyway.

Okay, looks like that motherboard uses a VIA VT8237A southbridge and a
VT6103L ethernet chip, there are a variety of drivers available at:
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...SubCatI D=124

The LAN driver was updated in November 2008, it's worth a shot:
<http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/ndism_381-ndis6_112_setup_332(20081023204915).zip>
(note that this is the second LAN driver on the page, look for the
VT6103 chipset)
Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\)

Re: Network/internet keeps dropping.
Hi
You can not fix onboard NIC.
Since a decent PCI NIC can be found for less tan $10, save yourself the
aggravation and get one.
Otherwise, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)