Shared Folders - new files in subfolder not visible

CRJpn

Shared Folders - new files in subfolder not visible
I am sharing a folder of photographs on my Vista box with 2 other XP Pro
machines on my home network. Everything works fine (including printer share
both ways) but I have what I hope is a simple question I cannot find an
answer to.

When I add new files to a sub-folder of my "My Pictures" folder, those files
are not visible on the network until I re-share the folder, which takes some
time as Vista has to apply permissions to thousands of files located under
"My Pictures".

Is there a setting that can force new files to have the same sharing
permissions as the parent directory??

Please advise!

Thanks,
CR
mludwig

Re: Shared Folders - new files in subfolder not visible

I discovered the very same bug (MS probably calls it a feature). I have
the Documents folder shared on my work desktop and whenever I connect my
laptop to the network, Offline Files should sync with this share.
However, it seems that files created in sub-folders of the share are not
accessible, cannot be opened nor synced. Good going Microsoft!

Anyway, this happens because the sub-folders/files are probably
inheriting not from the shared folder but one of its parents. Open the
permissions prop sheet of the share and replace all inheritable
permissions of its children.

--
mludwig
Chris R

think I have it figured out
I was able to get this to work fine, it came down to permissions on the
sub-folders. Basically if you open the permissions tab for the "windows
created share folders" - such as "Public Documents" - and duplicate those for
your shared folder (ex: "My Pictures") - new files created will be visible on
the network without re-sharing.