my HP laptop wont connect to any wireless networks

ketaminz ninja

my HP laptop wont connect to any wireless networks

I recently set up a wireless network at my house using netgear wgr614
wireless router on my HP AMD 64 laptop. everything worked fine, and i
could connect to any network. When I went to my mums house I realised
that i could no longer connect through wireless and had to conenct
through ethernet, which worked fine.

I took it home, and found that I am now unable to conect to any
network, including my home network. When I do try and connect the
network icon in the task manager turns first to two screens and a red
cross, then to icon of bars with all bars grey, and then back to two
screens with red cross. It switches between these untill you either
disable wireless or connect through ethernet. When I do try and manually
connect, It starts connecting, and then just says 'windows cannot
connect to swire'. I diagnosed the problem and it says that windows did
not recieve any response from the router, and suggests low signal as the
cause of the fault.

I am in the same room as the router so this cannot be the problem.
Also, as the problems seems to extend to any router i am sure the
problem is in my computer. Windows can detect the network and shows full
strenghth signal. Several other laptops in the house can connect
wirelessly, but now not mine. I re-iterate that I can connect through
ethernet just fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help? Thanks very much

--
ketaminz ninja
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: my HP laptop wont connect to any wireless networks
For troubleshooting, can you setup static IP address to access the router?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"ketaminz ninja" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I recently set up a wireless network at my house using netgear wgr614
> wireless router on my HP AMD 64 laptop. everything worked fine, and i
> could connect to any network. When I went to my mums house I realised
> that i could no longer connect through wireless and had to conenct
> through ethernet, which worked fine.
>
> I took it home, and found that I am now unable to conect to any
> network, including my home network. When I do try and connect the
> network icon in the task manager turns first to two screens and a red
> cross, then to icon of bars with all bars grey, and then back to two
> screens with red cross. It switches between these untill you either
> disable wireless or connect through ethernet. When I do try and manually
> connect, It starts connecting, and then just says 'windows cannot
> connect to swire'. I diagnosed the problem and it says that windows did
> not recieve any response from the router, and suggests low signal as the
> cause of the fault.
>
> I am in the same room as the router so this cannot be the problem.
> Also, as the problems seems to extend to any router i am sure the
> problem is in my computer. Windows can detect the network and shows full
> strenghth signal. Several other laptops in the house can connect
> wirelessly, but now not mine. I re-iterate that I can connect through
> ethernet just fine.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions that might help? Thanks very much
>

> --
> ketaminz ninja

kettysimpson is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: my HP laptop wont connect to any wireless networks
It might be some problem with your driver of the wifi or modem. SO try to reinstall the driver and make sure that you are using the driver which is compatible to your laptop. After that give a try hope you will get it.
__________________
my blog
robertmarks62's Avatar

Location: USA
robertmarks62 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: my HP laptop wont connect to any wireless networks
May following points will help to get more about How to recover from unconnected wireless network

Check the wires

Look at your cable or DSL modem for disconnected cables or wires. Make sure the power cable is connected and the lights are on.

Verify that the wireless router is connected to the power adapter and modem. Make sure the lights are on.

Reseat all cables and turn the power off then back on again to "Power Cycle" both the modem and access point or router. It may take 30-60 seconds to re-establish a wireless connection.

Check your HP Notebook PC Softwar

HP System Check for Notebook PCs compares known issues against current system software settings and hardware performance to detect and assist you with a solution.

Check Your Network Settings

You may also use the HP Network Assistant to validate your wired and wireless network settings.