can't see network computers and printers

candles4me

can't see network computers and printers
I got a new laptop with Vista Home Premium. I have two network desktop
computers plus this laptop hooked up to a network. I've made sure they are
all on the same network name. I had the two printers working with this
computer for about a week and then yesteday it stopped working. After
following help screens and removing and trying to reload drivers I now can't
find one of my printers and the other one is now showing up but won't print
and gives me an error message. I've followed the support for that and for
some reason, my laptop is not seeing the network computers or the printers at
all. When I go into my network it shows no computers whatsoever. I've done
everything on the help pages and still nothing. I need to be able to get my
printers to work with my laptop as it's what I use 99% of the time and I
frequently print from my laptop.

I need to know how to get the network computers to show up and then how to
get BOTH printers to show up. Thanks for any help!
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: can't see network computers and printers
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"candles4me" <candles4me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got a new laptop with Vista Home Premium. I have two network desktop
> computers plus this laptop hooked up to a network. I've made sure they
> are
> all on the same network name. I had the two printers working with this
> computer for about a week and then yesteday it stopped working. After
> following help screens and removing and trying to reload drivers I now
> can't
> find one of my printers and the other one is now showing up but won't
> print
> and gives me an error message. I've followed the support for that and for
> some reason, my laptop is not seeing the network computers or the printers
> at
> all. When I go into my network it shows no computers whatsoever. I've
> done
> everything on the help pages and still nothing. I need to be able to get
> my
> printers to work with my laptop as it's what I use 99% of the time and I
> frequently print from my laptop.
>
> I need to know how to get the network computers to show up and then how to
> get BOTH printers to show up. Thanks for any help!

candles4me

Re: can't see network computers and printers
it seems I have been in most of those sites and have done what I need to but
I still can't find my network computers. I followed a suggestion to put in
my computer name that the printers are on in the start button with the \\ in
front and I did that and it couldn't be found. So, I had it diagnosed and
tried to fix the problem but I got the error message "windows cannot resolve
the problem". I also tried to download the "fix" on the XP computer and when
I download the 922120 it says this: "set up has detected that the service
pack versioln of this system is newer than the update you are applying.
There is no need to install this update"

The laptop doesn't see the network and on my desktop, it doesn't see my
laptop either.