Network computers wont allow shared files...

DjamesL

Network computers wont allow shared files...
Im having trouble with File Sharing on my NEtwork.

I can get all my Stations to "See" one another, and I have set up
permissions on the "server" but I can't seem toget them to connect.

Everytime I try and access the C: Drive on the Server I get the following:

"c" is available, but the user account you are trying to log on with was
denied access.

windows cannot further diagnose the problem because network diagnostics does
not know the user name and password that is required to connect to the shared
folder.

Can anyone offer me any sort of advice on how to proceed?

I have tried using the HELP Pages on the Microsoft help site, to no avail.
Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\)

Re: Network computers wont allow shared files...
Hi
For security reason Vista does not allow sharing of C: as a whole.
You can share folders, or create one folder under C:\ and a structure of you
own sub folder under it. Save your stuff there, and map the main folder as
its own drive.
Otherwise, successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"DjamesL" <DjamesL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im having trouble with File Sharing on my NEtwork.
>
> I can get all my Stations to "See" one another, and I have set up
> permissions on the "server" but I can't seem toget them to connect.
>
> Everytime I try and access the C: Drive on the Server I get the following:
>
> "c" is available, but the user account you are trying to log on with was
> denied access.
>
> windows cannot further diagnose the problem because network diagnostics
> does
> not know the user name and password that is required to connect to the
> shared
> folder.
>
> Can anyone offer me any sort of advice on how to proceed?
>

> I have tried using the HELP Pages on the Microsoft help site, to no avail.

DjamesL

Re: Network computers wont allow shared files...
OKay, My Mistake. I Pulled the C: Drive off the Share List, and Went back to
Share the folder I needed Shared, and I still get the same issues.

"Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)" wrote:

> Hi
> For security reason Vista does not allow sharing of C: as a whole.
> You can share folders, or create one folder under C:\ and a structure of you
> own sub folder under it. Save your stuff there, and map the main folder as
> its own drive.
> Otherwise, successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
> settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> allowed to be shared.
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Windows XP File Sharing -
> Printer Sharing XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "DjamesL" <DjamesL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Im having trouble with File Sharing on my NEtwork.
> >
> > I can get all my Stations to "See" one another, and I have set up
> > permissions on the "server" but I can't seem toget them to connect.
> >
> > Everytime I try and access the C: Drive on the Server I get the following:
> >
> > "c" is available, but the user account you are trying to log on with was
> > denied access.
> >
> > windows cannot further diagnose the problem because network diagnostics
> > does
> > not know the user name and password that is required to connect to the
> > shared
> > folder.
> >
> > Can anyone offer me any sort of advice on how to proceed?
> >

> > I have tried using the HELP Pages on the Microsoft help site, to no avail.

DjamesL

Re: Network computers wont allow shared files...
I also got a message stating:

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource from the same user are
not allowed.