network problem with vista

Shawn

network problem with vista
Hi all,

I have a vista with very strange network behavior. The only application that
could access the network is "firefox". Other applications like IE, ftp.exe,
fillzilla, putty, non of them could connect to the network, they even didn't
send a SYN packet to the network, and just tell you "Connection Refused".

I tried a lot of thing, I could ping the gateway, ping the hosts like
www.google.com, well, since firefox is working properly, the physical network
must be ok.

I viewed firewall settings, the only firewall is Windows Firewall. I enabled
the logs for it and didn't find any dropped package. There is norton
antivirus (corp edition) running but I don't think it will affect network.

I also tried wireshark and windows network monitor 3.2. Both could capture
the network packets from firefox, but cannot capture any network packet from
a simple ftp.exe program.

I also reset the network catalog and tcp/ip stack using netsh. "netsh int
reset", "netsh winwock reset", but no luck.

Who can give me any clue on this? is it because of some driver? antivirus
software? tcp/ip filter? thanks.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: network problem with vista
You may also try to reset IE. This how to may help.
How to reset IE
In a case, you have an IE problem such as IE crashing, freezing, reset
IE is one of resolutions. To use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES) in
Internet ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Internet/resetie.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE