XP Computer Asking For Password on Vista Computers

JSM

XP Computer Asking For Password on Vista Computers
I recently had to restore the factory settings on my HP XP Media Center
desktop. When I set up the network everything seemed to work fine; I was
able to access the files my 2 Vista computers without any problems. However,
when I try to access my XP computer from the Vista computers, it asks for a
password. The XP doesn't have a password. This was never a problem before I
restored my XP computer. I tried setting a password on the XP and trying to
access it from the Vista, but no-go. Any solutions?
Malke

Re: XP Computer Asking For Password on Vista Computers
JSM wrote:

> I recently had to restore the factory settings on my HP XP Media Center
> desktop. When I set up the network everything seemed to work fine; I was
> able to access the files my 2 Vista computers without any problems.
> However, when I try to access my XP computer from the Vista computers, it
> asks for a
> password. The XP doesn't have a password. This was never a problem
> before I
> restored my XP computer. I tried setting a password on the XP and trying
> access it from the Vista, but no-go. Any solutions?

You need to create matching user accounts and passwords on both machines.
See Section C. below:

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: XP Computer Asking For Password on Vista Computers
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-