Mapping Drives Between Vista and XP

Jelso20

Mapping Drives Between Vista and XP
I have a computer with XP Home and another that I just built that has Vista
Ultimate.

I am trying to map hard drives between the two on my home network. They are
both connected to the same router. I have gotten it to work a couple times,
but upon restart it says the drives are unreachable. I have tried messing
with all of the share settings on both machines. Also, I have tried turning
on/off the windows firewalls on both and the password protected sharing on
the vista.

I was initially able to print from the XP machine (the printer is connected
to the Vista machine), but now I am unable to since I have tried to change
the Vista computer's name.

I've tried everything I can think of, and I have tried all of the help hints
and tips I've seen on the Microsoft website and on others.
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Mapping Drives Between Vista and XP
Hi
Mapped Drives works only if the Sharing is set correctly.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Jelso20" <Jelso20@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a computer with XP Home and another that I just built that has Vista
> Ultimate.
>
> I am trying to map hard drives between the two on my home network. They
> are
> both connected to the same router. I have gotten it to work a couple
> times,
> but upon restart it says the drives are unreachable. I have tried messing
> with all of the share settings on both machines. Also, I have tried
> turning
> on/off the windows firewalls on both and the password protected sharing on
> the vista.
>
> I was initially able to print from the XP machine (the printer is
> connected
> to the Vista machine), but now I am unable to since I have tried to change
> the Vista computer's name.
>
> I've tried everything I can think of, and I have tried all of the help
> hints
> and tips I've seen on the Microsoft website and on others.

Martin Connolly

Re: Mapping Drives Between Vista and XP
Turn off password protected sharing in the networking center in Vista.
Having this on stops the 'guest' access on other PCs discovering shares on
the Vista PC.