Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Alternate network connection is NOT working

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009
Grand_Poobah
 

Posts: n/a
Alternate network connection is NOT working
Can anyone tell me why plugging in a CAT-5 cable to my Vista SP1
machine's port will NOT bring up my LAN? The stupid "diagnose" button
simply tells me to "turn on wireless". This is of absolutely NO help
because my wireless access point is temporarily down.

Is there NO way to force a wired connection with Vista?

Using the "connect to a network" link is useless also as it also assumes
you want wireless - not wired. In XP you used to have a choice of
wireless or wired. Has that also been taken away by the brilliant
programmers at Microsoft?

GP
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Alternate network connection is NOT working
Grand_Poobah wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why plugging in a CAT-5 cable to my Vista SP1
> machine's port will NOT bring up my LAN? The stupid "diagnose" button
> simply tells me to "turn on wireless". This is of absolutely NO help
> because my wireless access point is temporarily down.
>
> Is there NO way to force a wired connection with Vista?
>
> Using the "connect to a network" link is useless also as it also assumes
> you want wireless - not wired. In XP you used to have a choice of
> wireless or wired. Has that also been taken away by the brilliant
> programmers at Microsoft?


I understand that you are upset and ranting feels good but it does limit how
many people will respond to you. Just sayin'... You've also left out all
the details that would enable people to help you. Here are some of the
things we need to know:

1. How do you connect to the Internet? Cable? DSL?
2. Is the cable/DSL modem a combination modem/router or do you have a router
plugged into the modem's WAN port?
3. If you have a separate router, what is it?
4. Are you plugging the ethernet cable into the router? If yes, have you
tried plugging the ethernet cable directly to the modem, bypassing the
router
5. Have you power-cycled both the modem and the router and then tried again?
6. Can other computers on the LAN access the Internet?
7. The Alternate Configuration is for when you want to have two unrelated
setups for Internet access on one adapter, not for "forcing" wired access.
Example - if you need a static IP address at work and a dynamic IP address
at home.
8. What have you already tried?
9. Did this ever work? If yes, what changed?
10. Is the ethernet adapter enabled? Look in Device Manager to be sure.
(Actually this is the first thing you should check but I don't feel like
renumbering my entire reply.)

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009
Grand_Poobah
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Alternate network connection is NOT working
There is nothing better than a good rant. Why spoil it with good advice.

Replies inline.

--->
> Grand_Poobah wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me why plugging in a CAT-5 cable to my Vista SP1
>> machine's port will NOT bring up my LAN? The stupid "diagnose" button
>> simply tells me to "turn on wireless". This is of absolutely NO help
>> because my wireless access point is temporarily down.
>>
>> Is there NO way to force a wired connection with Vista?
>>
>> Using the "connect to a network" link is useless also as it also assumes
>> you want wireless - not wired. In XP you used to have a choice of
>> wireless or wired. Has that also been taken away by the brilliant
>> programmers at Microsoft?

>
> I understand that you are upset and ranting feels good but it does limit how
> many people will respond to you. Just sayin'... You've also left out all
> the details that would enable people to help you. Here are some of the
> things we need to know:
>
> 1. How do you connect to the Internet? Cable? DSL?


DSL. Other computer connect just fine - even after I switched cables
with the nearest one.

> 2. Is the cable/DSL modem a combination modem/router or do you have a router
> plugged into the modem's WAN port?


DSL modem -> Linksys Router -> patch panel in basement -> computer room
upstairs -> local hub -> four computers

> 3. If you have a separate router, what is it?


Linksys

> 4. Are you plugging the ethernet cable into the router? If yes, have you
> tried plugging the ethernet cable directly to the modem, bypassing the
> router


See #2

> 5. Have you power-cycled both the modem and the router and then tried again?


Not part of the problem. Other computers running fine.

> 6. Can other computers on the LAN access the Internet?


Yes

> 7. The Alternate Configuration is for when you want to have two unrelated
> setups for Internet access on one adapter, not for "forcing" wired access.
> Example - if you need a static IP address at work and a dynamic IP address
> at home.


I can find no alternate configuration setup anywhere. I use static IP
address on my LAN. I used to have DHCP but the router kept
double-assigning addresses at times. On the laptop, I have tried
several times to create a completely new connection using the wired
adapter but cannot find out how to start any sort of wizard to do that.
When my wireless A/P is working, I can connect wireless just fine, but
when I turn the wireless adapter off and plug in the cable SOMETIMES it
will connect, but it uses the name of my wireless setup on the info
pop-up over the notification icon for my LAN. This doesn't sound right
to me. There should be some way of setting up a wired connection from
scratch.

> 8. What have you already tried?


A load of IPCONFIG commands. rebooting, several times. plugging and
unplugging the cable (connect LED goes on and off + port LED on hub goes
on and off also).

> 9. Did this ever work? If yes, what changed?


Yes; nothing. Worked last night, but not this AM when turned on (and
rebooted three times)

> 10. Is the ethernet adapter enabled? Look in Device Manager to be sure.
> (Actually this is the first thing you should check but I don't feel like
> renumbering my entire reply.)


Device manager shows all is fine - even with "show hidden devices"
enabled. No flags.

>
> Malke


There are a couple of things in the Event Viewer, but I'm not sure if
they relate. They are COM+ events though:

QUOTE
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch
permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost
(Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the
Component Services administrative tool.
/QUOTE

I looked up the ClassID and it turns out to be "local launch permission"
for an IPDevice. This could possibly be the culprit. I ran the
Component Services applet and took a look at all the COM items (big
list) but couldn't find any security issues out of order. If there is a
connection between the CLSID and a particular device (without searching
each and every COM device in order) I sure wish I could find it.
Searching the Registry is my only recourse.

GP
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Alternate network connection is NOT working
Grand_Poobah wrote:

See my comments inline:

>> 1. How do you connect to the Internet? Cable? DSL?

>
> DSL. Other computer connect just fine - even after I switched cables
> with the nearest one.
>
>> 2. Is the cable/DSL modem a combination modem/router or do you have a
>> router plugged into the modem's WAN port?

>
> DSL modem -> Linksys Router -> patch panel in basement -> computer room
> upstairs -> local hub -> four computers
>
>> 3. If you have a separate router, what is it?

>
> Linksys


Linksys what? Have you checked with Linksys to see if this router supports
Vista? If it is very old it may not. Does it have the latest firmware?
Routers doing DHCP do not normally assign duplicate IP addresses and this
points to something being wrong. Or if the router is elderly it may just be
dying. Are you really using a hub or a switch? If a hub, replace it with a
switch. Hubs are very old technology and can cause issues on a LAN.
Switches are inexpensive.

>> 4. Are you plugging the ethernet cable into the router? If yes, have you
>> tried plugging the ethernet cable directly to the modem, bypassing the
>> router

>
> See #2


I don't see where you answered this so I take it that no, you haven't
plugged the Vista machine directly into the modem with ethernet. I would do
so. Successful troubleshooting must be systematic and not scattershot.

>> 5. Have you power-cycled both the modem and the router and then tried
>> again?

>
> Not part of the problem. Other computers running fine.


You don't know if this is part of the problem or not unless you've tested
it. Again, when troubleshooting you must be systematic. But leave it for
now.

>> 6. Can other computers on the LAN access the Internet?

>
> Yes
>
>> 7. The Alternate Configuration is for when you want to have two unrelated
>> setups for Internet access on one adapter, not for "forcing" wired
>> access. Example - if you need a static IP address at work and a dynamic
>> IP address at home.

>
> I can find no alternate configuration setup anywhere. I use static IP
> address on my LAN. I used to have DHCP but the router kept
> double-assigning addresses at times. On the laptop, I have tried
> several times to create a completely new connection using the wired
> adapter but cannot find out how to start any sort of wizard to do that.
> When my wireless A/P is working, I can connect wireless just fine, but
> when I turn the wireless adapter off and plug in the cable SOMETIMES it
> will connect, but it uses the name of my wireless setup on the info
> pop-up over the notification icon for my LAN. This doesn't sound right
> to me. There should be some way of setting up a wired connection from
> scratch.


You don't need the Alternate Configuration if you've assigned static IP
addresses and turned off the Linksys's doing DHCP.

>> 8. What have you already tried?

>
> A load of IPCONFIG commands. rebooting, several times. plugging and
> unplugging the cable (connect LED goes on and off + port LED on hub goes
> on and off also).
>
>> 9. Did this ever work? If yes, what changed?

>
> Yes; nothing. Worked last night, but not this AM when turned on (and
> rebooted three times)


Possible hardware failure then rather than software. What happens when you
connect the Vista laptop directly to your modem? If nothing, then there may
be a problem with the laptop's NIC.

>> 10. Is the ethernet adapter enabled? Look in Device Manager to be sure.
>> (Actually this is the first thing you should check but I don't feel like
>> renumbering my entire reply.)

>
> Device manager shows all is fine - even with "show hidden devices"
> enabled. No flags.
>
> There are a couple of things in the Event Viewer, but I'm not sure if
> they relate. They are COM+ events though:
>
> QUOTE
> The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch
> permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
> {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
> to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost
> (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the
> Component Services administrative tool.
> /QUOTE
>
> I looked up the ClassID and it turns out to be "local launch permission"
> for an IPDevice. This could possibly be the culprit. I ran the
> Component Services applet and took a look at all the COM items (big
> list) but couldn't find any security issues out of order. If there is a
> connection between the CLSID and a particular device (without searching
> each and every COM device in order) I sure wish I could find it.
> Searching the Registry is my only recourse.


If you do a Google search using this search term, "permission settings do
not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application" you will
get a lot of links about that error message. I would not go chasing after
it at this point but rather would do the troubleshooting I suggest above
first. If your Vista machine's NIC has died or you are using an old hub or
your router has a problem, solving that will probably resolve the error in
Event Viewer.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009
Bill Kearney
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Alternate network connection is NOT working

> DSL modem -> Linksys Router -> patch panel in basement -> computer room
> upstairs -> local hub -> four computers


You're still using a HUB? Or do you mean switch?

> I used to have DHCP but the router kept double-assigning addresses at
> times.


This is troubling. Does it still do this? If so then there's plenty of
reasons to be HIGHLY skeptical of the network setup. Just because some
other boxes "work" doesn't mean there isn't something else wrong.

> On the laptop, I have tried several times to create a completely new
> connection using the wired adapter but cannot find out how to start any
> sort of wizard to do that.


Disable the adapter in the device manager, the remove it. Reboot and allow
it to set it back up again. It may be advantageous to also delete that
interface from the registry in-between the removal from the device manager
and the reboot.

> When my wireless A/P is working, I can connect wireless just fine, but
> when I turn the wireless adapter off


Turn off, how?

Here you may have driver issues with the wireless interface. What
make/model/version is it?

Also, since this is a laptop, does it have trouble maintain connections when
the machine goes to sleep or when waking back up from standby or hibernate?

-Bill Kearney


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009
Grand_Poobah
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Alternate network connection is NOT working
--->
> Grand_Poobah wrote:
>
> See my comments inline:
>
>>> 1. How do you connect to the Internet? Cable? DSL?

>> DSL. Other computer connect just fine - even after I switched cables
>> with the nearest one.
>>
>>> 2. Is the cable/DSL modem a combination modem/router or do you have a
>>> router plugged into the modem's WAN port?

>> DSL modem -> Linksys Router -> patch panel in basement -> computer room
>> upstairs -> local hub -> four computers
>>
>>> 3. If you have a separate router, what is it?

>> Linksys

>
> Linksys what? Have you checked with Linksys to see if this router supports
> Vista? If it is very old it may not. Does it have the latest firmware?
> Routers doing DHCP do not normally assign duplicate IP addresses and this
> points to something being wrong. Or if the router is elderly it may just be
> dying. Are you really using a hub or a switch? If a hub, replace it with a
> switch. Hubs are very old technology and can cause issues on a LAN.
> Switches are inexpensive.
>
>>> 4. Are you plugging the ethernet cable into the router? If yes, have you
>>> tried plugging the ethernet cable directly to the modem, bypassing the
>>> router

>> See #2

>
> I don't see where you answered this so I take it that no, you haven't
> plugged the Vista machine directly into the modem with ethernet. I would do
> so. Successful troubleshooting must be systematic and not scattershot.
>
>>> 5. Have you power-cycled both the modem and the router and then tried
>>> again?

>> Not part of the problem. Other computers running fine.

>
> You don't know if this is part of the problem or not unless you've tested
> it. Again, when troubleshooting you must be systematic. But leave it for
> now.
>
>>> 6. Can other computers on the LAN access the Internet?

>> Yes
>>
>>> 7. The Alternate Configuration is for when you want to have two unrelated
>>> setups for Internet access on one adapter, not for "forcing" wired
>>> access. Example - if you need a static IP address at work and a dynamic
>>> IP address at home.

>> I can find no alternate configuration setup anywhere. I use static IP
>> address on my LAN. I used to have DHCP but the router kept
>> double-assigning addresses at times. On the laptop, I have tried
>> several times to create a completely new connection using the wired
>> adapter but cannot find out how to start any sort of wizard to do that.
>> When my wireless A/P is working, I can connect wireless just fine, but
>> when I turn the wireless adapter off and plug in the cable SOMETIMES it
>> will connect, but it uses the name of my wireless setup on the info
>> pop-up over the notification icon for my LAN. This doesn't sound right
>> to me. There should be some way of setting up a wired connection from
>> scratch.

>
> You don't need the Alternate Configuration if you've assigned static IP
> addresses and turned off the Linksys's doing DHCP.
>
>>> 8. What have you already tried?

>> A load of IPCONFIG commands. rebooting, several times. plugging and
>> unplugging the cable (connect LED goes on and off + port LED on hub goes
>> on and off also).
>>
>>> 9. Did this ever work? If yes, what changed?

>> Yes; nothing. Worked last night, but not this AM when turned on (and
>> rebooted three times)

>
> Possible hardware failure then rather than software. What happens when you
> connect the Vista laptop directly to your modem? If nothing, then there may
> be a problem with the laptop's NIC.
>
>>> 10. Is the ethernet adapter enabled? Look in Device Manager to be sure.
>>> (Actually this is the first thing you should check but I don't feel like
>>> renumbering my entire reply.)

>> Device manager shows all is fine - even with "show hidden devices"
>> enabled. No flags.
>>
>> There are a couple of things in the Event Viewer, but I'm not sure if
>> they relate. They are COM+ events though:
>>
>> QUOTE
>> The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch
>> permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
>> {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}
>> to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost
>> (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the
>> Component Services administrative tool.
>> /QUOTE
>>
>> I looked up the ClassID and it turns out to be "local launch permission"
>> for an IPDevice. This could possibly be the culprit. I ran the
>> Component Services applet and took a look at all the COM items (big
>> list) but couldn't find any security issues out of order. If there is a
>> connection between the CLSID and a particular device (without searching
>> each and every COM device in order) I sure wish I could find it.
>> Searching the Registry is my only recourse.

>
> If you do a Google search using this search term, "permission settings do
> not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application" you will
> get a lot of links about that error message. I would not go chasing after
> it at this point but rather would do the troubleshooting I suggest above
> first. If your Vista machine's NIC has died or you are using an old hub or
> your router has a problem, solving that will probably resolve the error in
> Event Viewer.
>
> Malke


I uninstalled the computer's adapter (NVIDIAnForce 10/100/1000 Adapter)
rebooted and re-installed the adapter. Through three reboots now it has
connected every time. Each reboot was checked with an online site for
access. I intend to see if NVIDIA has any updated or newer drivers for
this adapter.

The 'hub' I mentioned is actually a D-Link 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch.
It may be two years old, if that.

The router is a Linksys BEFSX41 Firewall Router (with firewall
activated). The DSL modem is a SpeedStream 5100 (5-LED model).
According to the Linksys site, I have the latest firmware for my router
and, I point out, it works just fine with all my other computers (which,
in itself, is not a completely valid argument that it is working for the
laptop).

I took the laptop downstairs and (with a lot of plugging and unplugging)
got it hooked directly to the modem - no connection showing on the
laptop. The laptop still claimed that there were no networks available.

Next step: email NVIDIA tech support and see if there are any updated
drivers higher than 67.7.6.1 for my network adapter. Their web site is
set up totally for video drivers and doesn't show any network adapters
in their product list (strange?). I will also check with HP to see if
they have any.

GP
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009
Grand_Poobah
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Alternate network connection is NOT working
--->
>
>> DSL modem -> Linksys Router -> patch panel in basement -> computer room
>> upstairs -> local hub -> four computers

>
> You're still using a HUB? Or do you mean switch?
>
>> I used to have DHCP but the router kept double-assigning addresses at
>> times.

>
> This is troubling. Does it still do this? If so then there's plenty of
> reasons to be HIGHLY skeptical of the network setup. Just because some
> other boxes "work" doesn't mean there isn't something else wrong.
>
>> On the laptop, I have tried several times to create a completely new
>> connection using the wired adapter but cannot find out how to start
>> any sort of wizard to do that.

>
> Disable the adapter in the device manager, the remove it. Reboot and
> allow it to set it back up again. It may be advantageous to also delete
> that interface from the registry in-between the removal from the device
> manager and the reboot.
>
>> When my wireless A/P is working, I can connect wireless just fine,
>> but when I turn the wireless adapter off

>
> Turn off, how?
>
> Here you may have driver issues with the wireless interface. What
> make/model/version is it?
>
> Also, since this is a laptop, does it have trouble maintain connections
> when the machine goes to sleep or when waking back up from standby or
> hibernate?
>
> -Bill Kearney
>
>


Hi Bill. See my answers to Malke. There is a button right on the
computer panel next to the power switch that turns off (actually it
'disables') the WLAN adapter. It goes from green (0n) to orange (Off).

The router DHCP agent would occasionally assign a just-booting computer
an address of one of my other computers. When I troubleshot this odd
occurrence, I found that the assigned IP address was usually that of the
computer that had been on the longest. Some of my computers stay on for
weeks at a time and just renew their leases. By flashing the firmware
of the router that problem was eliminated but I had already shifted to
static IP addresses. My motto - if it works don't mess with it, but if
it doesn't, find out why.

I read on a forum about another person having this similar problem and
he solved it by disabling then removing the wired adapter using Program
Manager. Then cut/pasted the drivers to his desktop for safekeeping.
After rebooting, he found that Vista had assigned one of Microsoft's
drivers to the adapter and he had no more problems. I may try that next
if this arrangement (uninstall and reinstall of NVIDIA drivers) works.

My laptop has had no wireless problems with dropout or with
sleep/hibernation. I can put it to sleep and wake up and the adapter
connects right away. I went into it's settings and didn't allow the
computer to 'put it to sleep' under any circumstances. Maybe that helped.

I guess what is bothering me the most is that there isn't TWO separate
connections I can set up for network access - one for wireless and one
for wired. Every time I try "set up a network" the first thing it tells
me is that there are no wireless networks available. Well, who cares?
I want wired.

All this hassle will go away once I get a new Wireless Access Point. My
old one started heating up badly.

GP
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Alternate network connection is NOT working
"Grand_Poobah" <whatever@yaddayadda.kom> wrote in message
news:eZf6JLrbJHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Next step: email NVIDIA tech support and see if there are any updated
> drivers higher than 67.7.6.1 for my network adapter. Their web site is
> set up totally for video drivers and doesn't show any network adapters in
> their product list (strange?).


Not at all. AFAIK NVIDIA make graphics cards, not Network adapters.

--
Asking a question?
Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
your OS, Service Pack level
and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2009
Grand_Poobah
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Alternate network connection is NOT working
--->
> "Grand_Poobah" <whatever@yaddayadda.kom> wrote in message
> news:eZf6JLrbJHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Next step: email NVIDIA tech support and see if there are any updated
>> drivers higher than 67.7.6.1 for my network adapter. Their web site
>> is set up totally for video drivers and doesn't show any network
>> adapters in their product list (strange?).

>
> Not at all. AFAIK NVIDIA make graphics cards, not Network adapters.
>


That's what I though also Gordon but Device Manager doggedly insists
that my two adapters are:

Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter
NVIDIAnForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Networking Controller

I cannot find anything anywhere relating to the NVIDIA networking device
other than some Google hits reporting some similar problems as those I
am having. I suppose it is possible that it is 'spoofing' (for lack of
a better word) DM and reporting it is a network controller but why will
it connect to the web then? I think this may have been some sort of
experiment by NVIDIA into the networking arena and the drivers just
don't work right.

The next thing is to try and remove the NVIDIA drivers totally (backing
them up somewhere safe) and see if I can reboot and have Vista assign
different drivers to it.

I do have an NVIDIA GeForce 8200G M video card in the laptop also.

GP
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2009
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Alternate network connection is NOT working
Grand_Poobah wrote:

> --->
>> "Grand_Poobah" <whatever@yaddayadda.kom> wrote in message
>> news:eZf6JLrbJHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> Next step: email NVIDIA tech support and see if there are any updated
>>> drivers higher than 67.7.6.1 for my network adapter. Their web site
>>> is set up totally for video drivers and doesn't show any network
>>> adapters in their product list (strange?).

>>
>> Not at all. AFAIK NVIDIA make graphics cards, not Network adapters.
>>

>
> That's what I though also Gordon but Device Manager doggedly insists
> that my two adapters are:
>
> Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter
> NVIDIAnForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Networking Controller
>
> I cannot find anything anywhere relating to the NVIDIA networking device
> other than some Google hits reporting some similar problems as those I
> am having. I suppose it is possible that it is 'spoofing' (for lack of
> a better word) DM and reporting it is a network controller but why will
> it connect to the web then? I think this may have been some sort of
> experiment by NVIDIA into the networking arena and the drivers just
> don't work right.
>
> The next thing is to try and remove the NVIDIA drivers totally (backing
> them up somewhere safe) and see if I can reboot and have Vista assign
> different drivers to it.
>
> I do have an NVIDIA GeForce 8200G M video card in the laptop also.


Nvidia makes motherboards and on those motherboards are onboard network
adapters.

Just as a WAG, did you also install the Nvidia Firewall that sometimes comes
along with those adapter drivers? If yes, I'd uninstall that. You may be
getting conflicts with the Windows Firewall. I also forgot to ask you what
security software you have installed. I've seen instances where a client
had McAfee (shudder!) installed and that program was blocking the ethernet
adapter.

You said:

"I uninstalled the computer's adapter (NVIDIAnForce 10/100/1000 Adapter)
rebooted and re-installed the adapter. Through three reboots now it has
connected every time. Each reboot was checked with an online site for
access. I intend to see if NVIDIA has any updated or newer drivers for
this adapter."

So does this mean that the wired NIC is now working? If it is, leave well
enough alone!

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet working but programs can't find network connection MarylandMommy microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 11-12-2007 05:22
Article ID: 930085 When you create a network connection that automatically calls another connection in Windows Vista, incorrect credentials appear when Windows Vista tests the connection KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 930163 In Windows Vista, you cannot access any resources on a remote VPN server after you switch a network connection from one network adapter to another network adapter and then dial a VPN connection KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 937168 After you configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows Vista, the network connection stops working after one-to-two hours KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Re: Internet Connection not working but network is.. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgTiBDYXJvbGluZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 12-11-2006 10:50




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:03.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120