Connecting to printer on XP computer from Vista computer

Duane Bender

Connecting to printer on XP computer from Vista computer
My home network has two USB printers on a desktop running XP Pro. From a
laptop running XP Pro, I can connect and print to either of these printers.
From another laptop running 64-bit Vista Home Premium, I get an error message
when I try to connect to these printers: "The server for the 'Dell Laser MFP
1815' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you
want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and
contact your network administrator or OEM for correct printer driver."

So here's my question: In order to print from my Vista laptop to the
printers connected to my XP desktop, what driver do I need (XP 32-bit, Vista
32-bit, or Vista 64-bit) to install and where do I install it (XP desktop
where printer is, or Vista laptop from where I want to connect)?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Duane
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Connecting to printer on XP computer from Vista computer
You need 64-bit driver. The best way to do it is adding the printer as local
printer first and then remapping it as network printer. Or this search
result may help.

Vista Print IssuesMay 27, 2007 ... Access is denied when setup network
printer in Vista ... Many Vista printer issues are solved by installing the
printer as a Local Printer ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Duane Bender" <Duane Bender@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My home network has two USB printers on a desktop running XP Pro. From a
> laptop running XP Pro, I can connect and print to either of these
> printers.
> From another laptop running 64-bit Vista Home Premium, I get an error
> message
> when I try to connect to these printers: "The server for the 'Dell Laser
> MFP
> 1815' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you
> want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel
> and
> contact your network administrator or OEM for correct printer driver."
>
> So here's my question: In order to print from my Vista laptop to the
> printers connected to my XP desktop, what driver do I need (XP 32-bit,
> Vista
> 32-bit, or Vista 64-bit) to install and where do I install it (XP desktop
> where printer is, or Vista laptop from where I want to connect)?
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
> Duane

Grand_Poobah

Re: Connecting to printer on XP computer from Vista computer
--->
> My home network has two USB printers on a desktop running XP Pro. From a
> laptop running XP Pro, I can connect and print to either of these printers.
> From another laptop running 64-bit Vista Home Premium, I get an error message
> when I try to connect to these printers: "The server for the 'Dell Laser MFP
> 1815' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you
> want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and
> contact your network administrator or OEM for correct printer driver."
>
> So here's my question: In order to print from my Vista laptop to the
> printers connected to my XP desktop, what driver do I need (XP 32-bit, Vista
> 32-bit, or Vista 64-bit) to install and where do I install it (XP desktop
> where printer is, or Vista laptop from where I want to connect)?
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
> Duane

I had the same problem here: Canon printer on an XP machine and Vista
64-bit. You need to locate a Dell 64-bit driver AND put it on your
64-bit machine when it asks for a driver.

GP
Grand_Poobah

Re: Connecting to printer on XP computer from Vista computer
Sorry, Bob. My newsreader didn't show your response for some reason
until I refreshed it several times.

GP

--->

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You need 64-bit driver. The best way to do it is adding the printer as local
> printer first and then remapping it as network printer. Or this search
> result may help.
>
> Vista Print IssuesMay 27, 2007 ... Access is denied when setup network
> printer in Vista ... Many Vista printer issues are solved by installing the
> printer as a Local Printer ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Duane Bender" <Duane Bender@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My home network has two USB printers on a desktop running XP Pro. From a
> > laptop running XP Pro, I can connect and print to either of these
> > printers.
> > From another laptop running 64-bit Vista Home Premium, I get an error
> > message
> > when I try to connect to these printers: "The server for the 'Dell Laser
> > MFP
> > 1815' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you
> > want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel
> > and
> > contact your network administrator or OEM for correct printer driver."
> >
> > So here's my question: In order to print from my Vista laptop to the
> > printers connected to my XP desktop, what driver do I need (XP 32-bit,
> > Vista
> > 32-bit, or Vista 64-bit) to install and where do I install it (XP desktop
> > where printer is, or Vista laptop from where I want to connect)?
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can offer.
> >
> > Duane

Thanks, Bob. Installing it as a local printer (creating a new port) worked
great. I appreciate the help.

Duane
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Connecting to printer on XP computer from Vista computer
Thank you for the update.