Vista networking problem - server service.

Slap_Shot_12

Vista networking problem - server service.
I've been having file sharing problems with a vista box for a while now, and
I think I've finally narrowed down the problem to the server service.

I can see the problem computer from other machines, and for the first few
minutes after it starts i can share files on that computer with others in the
netowork with no problems. After about 15 minutes, the problem computer still
appears on the network map, but when I try access it I get an error message
saying the resource is no longer available. When I try mapping a network
drive using a specified user account on the problem machine, i get an error
message saying the server service is not started.

When I go to the problem box, the server service appears to be running, but
when I try stop it so I can restart it I get Error 1503: service did not
respond in a timely fasion.

I have no idea how to even start troubleshooting this, but here's what I've
done so far:

I've disabled Norton and Windows firewall entirely to make sure that's not
the problem. The network is set to 'private' on both, they are both in the
same workgroup and I've got the following network settings:
Network discovery - on
file sharing - on
public folder sharing - on
printer sharing - on
password protected sharing - off
media sharing - on

I've tried from two different Vista computers and get teh same thing from
both.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista networking problem - server service.
If you start the problematic computer with clean boot, does that fix the
problem?
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE