Vista 64 network sees but can't use XP computer

D & D

Vista 64 network sees but can't use XP computer
I have a new computer with Vista 64 with a wired network to my XP computer.
The XP can see and read files on the Vista 64 computer but the Vista 64 sees
but will not let me access the XP computer. It reports that the SharedDocs
is available but the user is denied access. It also notes I may not have
permission.

I am the only user, and I have administrator rights. The user account
control is turned off. I am using a 2wire router for the network. Both
computers access the internet fine.

I had no problem before when both computers were on XP .

Help please,
ravritch@snet.net
Malke

Re: Vista 64 network sees but can't use XP computer
D & D wrote:

> I have a new computer with Vista 64 with a wired network to my XP
> computer. The XP can see and read files on the Vista 64 computer but the
> Vista 64 sees
> but will not let me access the XP computer. It reports that the
> SharedDocs
> is available but the user is denied access. It also notes I may not have
> permission.
>
> I am the only user, and I have administrator rights. The user account
> control is turned off. I am using a 2wire router for the network. Both
> computers access the internet fine.

You probably have a misconfigured firewall on Vista 64 and/or forgot to
create identical user accounts/passwords. Also, turn UAC back on since many
things don't work correctly without it. See general network sharing
information below.

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

D & D

Re: Vista 64 network sees but can't use XP computer
Thank you for your suggestions. I can see a few problems from what you said,
different user names, etc. I'll give your suggestions a try and see what
happens.
Again, thanks,
ravritch@snet.net