Looking for: Vista Network Helper v1.x or HELP

n9nu

Looking for: Vista Network Helper v1.x or HELP

I am experiencing very slow (7-11MB per second) transfers from a Vista
64 Box (SP1) to my FreeNAS box which runs FreeBSD a couple of feet away.
All Linux and BSD boxes can transfer, via FTP, between each other at
around 60-90MB/sec...which is more like it. This Vista box however, is a
bottleneck. All NIC's are Intel Pro 1000 via CAT 6 cable. I have each of
the workstations (6 linux, 3 BSD and 1 Vista 64) connected to a HP 16
port Gigabit managed switch. Before the switch, I have my a Mikrotik
RouterOS box running via Linux which acts as the Internet gateway and/or
router via Masquerading.

I saw the reference to Vista Network Helper and it looks to be what I
am looking for, but I tried all sources to find a valid download link to
no avail. Can anyone post a current link or pm/email me with the info?

Of course, if anyone has a more direct (edit the registry) type deal, I
would be all ears. According to my references from
'www.enterprisenetworkplanet.com'
(http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3485486),
the key values for Vista I need to change would be:

- TcpWindowSize ~131400 (decimal value)
- Tcp13230pts - value of 3 (RFC1323 scaling and time stamping)
- ForwardBufferMemory ~80000
- NumForwardPackets ~60000

According to that site, and I know those values above pertain to XP, I
should see a big performance gain transferring files via TCP

With Linux and BSD it is just so straight forward and simple, but with
Vista I am bit confused on a few of the options. I do not expect to get
as fast as with the Linux or BSD clients, but I would like at least
40+MB/sec via FTP.

Thank you very much

Tim

--
n9nu

[image:
http://digital-audio-pro.us/public/I...signature.jpg]
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Looking for: Vista Network Helper v1.x or HELP
You may try to disable auto tuning. This search result may help too.
Vista IPCONFIG and Network Settings
How to: assign multiple static IPs in Vista · How to change the
binding order of network providers · How to disable Auto-tuning on Windows
Vista ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistaipconfig.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"n9nu" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I am experiencing very slow (7-11MB per second) transfers from a Vista
> 64 Box (SP1) to my FreeNAS box which runs FreeBSD a couple of feet away.
> All Linux and BSD boxes can transfer, via FTP, between each other at
> around 60-90MB/sec...which is more like it. This Vista box however, is a
> bottleneck. All NIC's are Intel Pro 1000 via CAT 6 cable. I have each of
> the workstations (6 linux, 3 BSD and 1 Vista 64) connected to a HP 16
> port Gigabit managed switch. Before the switch, I have my a Mikrotik
> RouterOS box running via Linux which acts as the Internet gateway and/or
> router via Masquerading.
>
> I saw the reference to Vista Network Helper and it looks to be what I
> am looking for, but I tried all sources to find a valid download link to
> no avail. Can anyone post a current link or pm/email me with the info?
>
> Of course, if anyone has a more direct (edit the registry) type deal, I
> would be all ears. According to my references from
> 'www.enterprisenetworkplanet.com'
> (http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3485486),
> the key values for Vista I need to change would be:
>

> - TcpWindowSize ~131400 (decimal value)
> - Tcp13230pts - value of 3 (RFC1323 scaling and time stamping)
> - ForwardBufferMemory ~80000
> - NumForwardPackets ~60000
>
> According to that site, and I know those values above pertain to XP, I
> should see a big performance gain transferring files via TCP
>
> With Linux and BSD it is just so straight forward and simple, but with
> Vista I am bit confused on a few of the options. I do not expect to get
> as fast as with the Linux or BSD clients, but I would like at least
> 40+MB/sec via FTP.
>
> Thank you very much
>
> Tim
>

> --
> n9nu
>
> [image:
> http://digital-audio-pro.us/public/I...signature.jpg]

n9nu's Avatar

n9nu is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Looking for: Vista Network Helper v1.x or HELP
Hello

Thank you for the advice. I was amazed at the performance gain when I issued the following command via the CLI: "netsh tcp set global autotuninglevel=restricted". From a throughput of 8-12MB/sec to a whopping 60-110MB/sec. That is much better. I have not tried it with the options "normal" or "experimental" yet and will try those just for kicks.

Thank you again

Tim
ASUS L1N64-SLI mobo | Dual AMD FX-74 CPU's | Dual 8800 GTX OC GPU's in SLI | OCZ Reaper X 8GB D/C RAM | PCPaC 1000W PSU | Quad WD VelociRaptor 300GB in RAID 0 | Dual Lite-On SATA DVD+DL | I-INC 28" Full HD LCD | Logitech Z-5500D SS | Thermaltake Armour Case | Liquid Cooling for CPU's
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Looking for: Vista Network Helper v1.x or HELP
Thank you for the feedback.