Re: linksys router problems

[Forwarded to Vista Networking newsgroup via crosspost]

Jud wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to set up a new Linksys Wireless Router model WRT54G2 to
> use
> WEP. I am running Vista. When I get on Linksys web page (192.168.1.1)
> and
> get to the place where I click on WEP in the security mode box I get a
> message from Internet Explorer 7 saying “It will stop WPS because WI-FI
> Protected setup does not support WEP/WPA Enterprises/WPA2
> Enterprise/Radius.” I have to click on a box that says OK to get rid of
> the
> box. After saving my choice and going to the section that ask for my
> passphrase and saving that I lose my internet connection. I just moved
> and
> bought a new router as opposed to renting one from my internet provider,
> the
> old one was a Linksys and it worked fine??
> Any Ideas –
> Thanks
> Jud

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: linksys router problems
It is better to use WPA instead of WEB in Vista wireless. This post may help
too.

Fixed: Vista can't access wireless because WEB settigns
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=5488

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> [Forwarded to Vista Networking newsgroup via crosspost]
>
> Jud wrote:
>> Hi, I am trying to set up a new Linksys Wireless Router model WRT54G2 to
>> use
>> WEP. I am running Vista. When I get on Linksys web page (192.168.1.1)
>> and
>> get to the place where I click on WEP in the security mode box I get a
>> message from Internet Explorer 7 saying “It will stop WPS because WI-FI
>> Protected setup does not support WEP/WPA Enterprises/WPA2
>> Enterprise/Radius.” I have to click on a box that says OK to get rid of
>> the
>> box. After saving my choice and going to the section that ask for my
>> passphrase and saving that I lose my internet connection. I just moved
>> and
>> bought a new router as opposed to renting one from my internet provider,
>> the
>> old one was a Linksys and it worked fine??
>> Any Ideas –
>> Thanks
>> Jud

NetRider

Re: linksys router problems
I have had some instances where I needed to update the Firmware in a router
for it to perform properly, under Vista, and this may or may not help you.
Check with the Company to see if there is a newer firmware for your router.
Also always use a hardwired "network cable" when making wireless changes.
That way if you make changes which affect the wireless connection, you will
still have access to your router.