Unable to print from Vista Home Premium to XP Home

mx6bfast

Unable to print from Vista Home Premium to XP Home

At my house I have an XP Home pc and a Vista Home Premium laptop. I had
to get a new laptop because the old XP one died. The dead XP laptop did
not have this problem.

I have an HP all-in-one printer connected via USB to the XP pc.
Everything is networked in our house. However I cannot get the Vista
laptop to print to the printer. If I physically take the laptop upstairs
and plug it in to the printer it prints just fine. I have the printer
shared on the XP box and if I change the name of the printer on the XP
box, the Vista laptop will see the new name immediately.

On the laptop when I click File - Print the printer will display, and
the printer icon will come and go in the bottom right hand corner and
will not display an error. It looks as if it printed. I watched the
printer queue on the XP box last night and noticed that the job showed
up in queue as "Guest" and then went away like it printed. So it looks
like the job is getting somewhere, but for some reason it isn't actually
printing.

I looked at the Guest account and I couldn't change any settings on it
on the XP box.

Does anyone know anything else I can do?

--
mx6bfast
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unable to print from Vista Home Premium to XP Home
Many Vista printer issues can be fixed by installing local printer first and
then remap it as network printer. This search result may help.

Vista Print Issues
May 27, 2007 ... 2. Many Vista printer issues are solved by installing
the printer as a Local Printer. Check this post:. Vista: Cannot connect to
the . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"mx6bfast" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> At my house I have an XP Home pc and a Vista Home Premium laptop. I had
> to get a new laptop because the old XP one died. The dead XP laptop did
> not have this problem.
>
> I have an HP all-in-one printer connected via USB to the XP pc.
> Everything is networked in our house. However I cannot get the Vista
> laptop to print to the printer. If I physically take the laptop upstairs
> and plug it in to the printer it prints just fine. I have the printer
> shared on the XP box and if I change the name of the printer on the XP
> box, the Vista laptop will see the new name immediately.
>
> On the laptop when I click File - Print the printer will display, and
> the printer icon will come and go in the bottom right hand corner and
> will not display an error. It looks as if it printed. I watched the
> printer queue on the XP box last night and noticed that the job showed
> up in queue as "Guest" and then went away like it printed. So it looks
> like the job is getting somewhere, but for some reason it isn't actually
> printing.
>
> I looked at the Guest account and I couldn't change any settings on it
> on the XP box.
>
> Does anyone know anything else I can do?
>

> --
> mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Re: Unable to print from Vista Home Premium to XP Home

That worked. Thank you very much!!!!!

--
mx6bfast