Vista File / Folder Sharing

SKIMAN217

Vista File / Folder Sharing
Have just baselined all of my computers to Vista in a home network.

MAIN - Primary PC hardwired to router. Primary location for storing files
and for print sharing

KIDS - Wired connection to router.

LAPTOP - Wireless connection to router

All systems are in the same workgroup and I am not using user specific
passwords, all users can access the shared folders on any system.

All systems are visible in the network tabs of each computer and the network
maps in Network & File Sharing are all correct.

MAIN (my primary PC) for some reason prevents access from the other systems
for no apparent reason. MAIN always has access to the shared folders of
either of the other two computers. The other 2 systems can still gain access
to each other but not MAIN.

If I restart MAIN, file sharing and printing is works fine again, but
something happens, not sure what, and MAIN locks out Printer & File Sharing
for the other systems.

Typically I discover this in the morning or after long periods of non-use,
so I dont know if its related to a timed process or not.

This is driving me up a wall....any help would be great.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista File / Folder Sharing
Do you have 3rd party security running on main PC?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"SKIMAN217" <SKIMAN217@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have just baselined all of my computers to Vista in a home network.
>
> MAIN - Primary PC hardwired to router. Primary location for storing files
> and for print sharing
>
> KIDS - Wired connection to router.
>
> LAPTOP - Wireless connection to router
>
> All systems are in the same workgroup and I am not using user specific
> passwords, all users can access the shared folders on any system.
>
> All systems are visible in the network tabs of each computer and the
> network
> maps in Network & File Sharing are all correct.
>
> MAIN (my primary PC) for some reason prevents access from the other
> systems
> for no apparent reason. MAIN always has access to the shared folders of
> either of the other two computers. The other 2 systems can still gain
> access
> to each other but not MAIN.
>
> If I restart MAIN, file sharing and printing is works fine again, but
> something happens, not sure what, and MAIN locks out Printer & File
> Sharing
> for the other systems.
>
> Typically I discover this in the morning or after long periods of non-use,
> so I dont know if its related to a timed process or not.
>
> This is driving me up a wall....any help would be great.

skiman217

Re: Vista File / Folder Sharing
Yes, McAffee...

--
skiman217

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do you have 3rd party security running on main PC?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "SKIMAN217" <SKIMAN217@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have just baselined all of my computers to Vista in a home network.
> >
> > MAIN - Primary PC hardwired to router. Primary location for storing files
> > and for print sharing
> >
> > KIDS - Wired connection to router.
> >
> > LAPTOP - Wireless connection to router
> >
> > All systems are in the same workgroup and I am not using user specific
> > passwords, all users can access the shared folders on any system.
> >
> > All systems are visible in the network tabs of each computer and the
> > network
> > maps in Network & File Sharing are all correct.
> >
> > MAIN (my primary PC) for some reason prevents access from the other
> > systems
> > for no apparent reason. MAIN always has access to the shared folders of
> > either of the other two computers. The other 2 systems can still gain
> > access
> > to each other but not MAIN.
> >
> > If I restart MAIN, file sharing and printing is works fine again, but
> > something happens, not sure what, and MAIN locks out Printer & File
> > Sharing
> > for the other systems.
> >
> > Typically I discover this in the morning or after long periods of non-use,
> > so I dont know if its related to a timed process or not.
> >
> > This is driving me up a wall....any help would be great.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista File / Folder Sharing
Then try to start the system with clean boot.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
news09F8E91-B722-40B7-93FA-5AB0B3ED771F@microsoft.com...