cannot get to vista computers on home workgroup

DriftyDude's Avatar

DriftyDude is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cannot get to vista computers on home workgroup
My family has 3 desktop PCs and 3 notebook PCs all hanging on a Linksys Wireless N Gigabit Router and all are assigned to the same workgroup. Three of the PCs are running Windows XP Professional and the other 3 PCs are running Windows Vista, 2 on Vista Home Premium and 1 on Vista Ultra.
File Sharing is TURNED ON on all computers.
When logged on to any of the computers, I can click on "view workgroup computers" and I will see icons representing all computers currently up and running.
The problem I am having is this.....
when I double-click the icon OF ANY COMPUTER running "Vista", I get the following....
\\ computer_name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not alowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

Now, I can sit down at ANY of the PCs and "GET TO ANY COMPUTER RUNNING Windows XP" just fine. I just can't "GET TO ANY COMPUTER RUNNING Windows VISTA". Even if I am sitting at a PC running Vista, I can't get to another PC running vista.

As I stated earlier, file sharing is TURNED ON on ALL computers. I even tried TURNING OFF User Account Control on the Vista PCs, but that changed nothing.

One more thing... every PC has only one user account set up, which of course is the administrator. There are no passwords created on any of the PCs accounts.
Now, does this mean that I have the "blank password" scenario referred to in the error message above??
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: cannot get to vista computers on home workgroup
Hi
Maybe this can Help, successful Sharing involves some general consideration
in Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -