Can Remote Desktop trigger a VPN connection or must I do that manually first?

Milhouse Van Houten

Can Remote Desktop trigger a VPN connection or must I do that manually first?
I connect into a corporate PPTP VPN via RD, and right now it's a little
cumbersome since I have to establish the VPN connection and then launch RD.

Is there a way to configure RD so that it knows it needs the VPN connection
first and so launches the VPN connectoid itself, waits for the connection,
and then establishes the RD? Sort of like in the old days, where you'd run
a Winsock app and it knew it had to trigger Windows to dial into the
Internet first.

Thanks

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can Remote Desktop trigger a VPN connection or must I do that manually first?
You may be able to do that if you know how to use script. The easy solution
is create a batch file with 3 commands, for example,

mstsc TS public IP
rasdial entryname [username [password]
mstsc TS private IP

If the first command doesn't work, you will receive a error, click OK to
establish the VPN connection and then RDC. This how to may help too.
How to vpn automatically
Add pre-setup VPN auto-connection by CMAK to the Startup. 2. Create a
logon batch with rasdail command to start the VPN connection. ...
www.howtonetworking.com/VPN/autorasdial1.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Milhouse Van Houten" <btvs@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>I connect into a corporate PPTP VPN via RD, and right now it's a little
>cumbersome since I have to establish the VPN connection and then launch RD.
>
> Is there a way to configure RD so that it knows it needs the VPN
> connection first and so launches the VPN connectoid itself, waits for the
> connection, and then establishes the RD? Sort of like in the old days,
> where you'd run a Winsock app and it knew it had to trigger Windows to
> dial into the Internet first.
>
> Thanks

Milhouse Van Houten

Re: Can Remote Desktop trigger a VPN connection or must I do that manually first?
That should work fine, thanks. I wasn't aware of the command-line
equivalents.