File and Print Sharing (mostly) work, Just not HP printer

condry

File and Print Sharing (mostly) work, Just not HP printer
I just got a new Vista 64 system. I connected my Canon, HP printers via USB
cable to the Vista machine. Other machines on my network are XP. I want the
XP systems to remotely use the printers. File shares work. Canon works. Just
not the HP. I have seen "how to do this" for a vista client and the printer
on an XP -- but not the other way around.
Grand_Poobah

Re: File and Print Sharing (mostly) work, Just not HP printer
Assuming you used the 64-bit Canon drivers on the Vista machine, you
will still need 32-bit drivers on all the XP machines. Did your Canon
printer come with a CD? If so, then it probably has all that you need to
install them. When the Canon XP setup opens, be sure to tell it that
the printer is remote to the current machine over a network. The
installer will put the 32-bit drivers on each XP machine.

My installation was "the other way round". 64-bit Vista communicating
with a Canon on one of my XP machines. I had to install the 64-bit
driver on the Vista machine and I was off to the races.

GP

--->

"Grand_Poobah" wrote:

> Community Message Not Available

Ok, not clear. I installed the Canon Vista 64 driver on the Vista machine,
and all the XP professional machines can print on my Vista Home Premium
machine.
I installed the HP Vista 64 driver the same way, and the XP machines can see
it on the network but give an driver error when I try to use them. Yes, this
is a goofy problem from HP because Canon and file sharing work just fine.
Malke

condry wrote:

> "Grand_Poobah" wrote:
>
>> Community Message Not Available

> Ok, not clear. I installed the Canon Vista 64 driver on the Vista
> machine, and all the XP professional machines can print on my Vista Home
> Premium machine.
> I installed the HP Vista 64 driver the same way, and the XP machines can
> see
> it on the network but give an driver error when I try to use them. Yes,
> this is a goofy problem from HP because Canon and file sharing work just
> fine.

Install HP XP drivers on the XP boxen and then Add Printer (or it may be
seen during the install routine). Many HP printers require this.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!