mixed wired / wireless vista/ xp

archaeous

mixed wired / wireless vista/ xp

Ok I went through a few other similar threads but they didn't really
help me as the problems were somewhat different.

My current setup involves 2 wired desktop computers one running xp pro
sp3 , 2nd desktop is xp home. I also have a laptop running vista 64 and
is wireless. All 3 computers can access internet without any problems.

All 3 computers belong to the same workgroup and all 3 have manually
assigned static IP's so the subnet and DNS are all identical on all
machines. File and printer sharing are installed on all 3 and the two
desktops can view eachother and share with no problems (well not many it
seems to occasionally cut out for no reason sometimes). The vista
laptop is not visible to the desktops nor can the desktops see the vista
computer.

I have set the vista computer up as a private network and done the view
entire map and the desktops do not show on it, the sp3 desktop has the
LLTD protocol installed as I tried the update and would not allow it
saying my updates were newer than that hotfix.

I have tried disabling firewalls completely to no avail, and I am just
confused in that the wireless network seems to be completely separate
from the wired even though it is the same router. Is there any way to
view the wireless network from the wired computer? I have tried using
the xp wireless network setup which seems to do absolutely nothing.

so quick recap 3 computers

desktop - wired - xp pro
desktop - wired - xp home
these can share with eachother no problems (Mshome workgroup)
laptop - wireless - vista 64
can not see or be seen (Mshome workgroup sharing enabled)

Thanks!

--
archaeous
archaeous's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/archaeous.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Steve Winograd

Re: mixed wired / wireless vista/ xp
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:02:20 +0530, archaeous
<archaeous.3kt17d@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Ok I went through a few other similar threads but they didn't really
>help me as the problems were somewhat different.
>
>My current setup involves 2 wired desktop computers one running xp pro
>sp3 , 2nd desktop is xp home. I also have a laptop running vista 64 and
>is wireless. All 3 computers can access internet without any problems.
>
>All 3 computers belong to the same workgroup and all 3 have manually
>assigned static IP's so the subnet and DNS are all identical on all
>machines. File and printer sharing are installed on all 3 and the two
>desktops can view eachother and share with no problems (well not many it
>seems to occasionally cut out for no reason sometimes). The vista
>laptop is not visible to the desktops nor can the desktops see the vista
>computer.
>
>I have set the vista computer up as a private network and done the view
>entire map and the desktops do not show on it, the sp3 desktop has the
>LLTD protocol installed as I tried the update and would not allow it
>saying my updates were newer than that hotfix.
>
>I have tried disabling firewalls completely to no avail, and I am just
>confused in that the wireless network seems to be completely separate
>from the wired even though it is the same router. Is there any way to
>view the wireless network from the wired computer? I have tried using
>the xp wireless network setup which seems to do absolutely nothing.
>
>so quick recap 3 computers
>
>desktop - wired - xp pro
>desktop - wired - xp home
>these can share with eachother no problems (Mshome workgroup)
>laptop - wireless - vista 64
>can not see or be seen (Mshome workgroup sharing enabled)
>
>Thanks!

Check the network settings in Control Panel > "Network and Sharing
Center" on Vista. In particular, make sure that "Network discovery"
and "File sharing" are turned on. Click "Diagnose and repair" and see
if that helps.

Can you ping the Vista computer from an XP desktop? Try it by IP
address and by computer name.

--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: mixed wired / wireless vista/ xp
Hi
If all the computer are connect to the same Wireless Router and can use the
Internet then for sharing purposes it does not matter whether any of them is
Wired or Wireless, it issue is solely a matter of configuring correctly the
Sharing System.
Maybe this can Help,
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
P.S. Make sure that the Wireless is using your Wireless Router, and is not
connecting mistakenly to another Access Point.
Jack (MVP-Networking).