XP freezes after network access

KHogle

XP freezes after network access
New problem. Network finally works, however, after accessing files and the
printer on the XP SP2 from Vista Home Premium SP1, both with updates
installed, I find that the XP comp kind of freezes. I can move the mouse
pointer, but if I click on a program, like the firewall or firefox, or any
program, I see the hour glass for about 7 seconds, then nothing.

Looking at sytsem events, it says that after network access, memory needs to
be let go, or something to that affect. Not sure how to approach this. And
have mercy, I am doing this for the first time. It took a while to even get
the netork up.

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency
may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without any judicial or legislative
oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the
impeachment of the current President

Steve Winograd

Re: XP freezes after network access
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:52:45 -0500, "KHogle" <khogle@gmail.com> wrote:

>New problem. Network finally works, however, after accessing files and the
>printer on the XP SP2 from Vista Home Premium SP1, both with updates
>installed, I find that the XP comp kind of freezes. I can move the mouse
>pointer, but if I click on a program, like the firewall or firefox, or any
>program, I see the hour glass for about 7 seconds, then nothing.
>
>Looking at sytsem events, it says that after network access, memory needs to
>be let go, or something to that affect. Not sure how to approach this. And
>have mercy, I am doing this for the first time. It took a while to even get
>the netork up.

How are you "looking at system events"? What exactly does it say?
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
KHogle

Re: XP freezes after network access
In windows XP, you can enter computer management\event viewer and see a list
of processes and programs which fail or have problems. In my case, the
message with problems simply states that a network accessed a windows
process and has not let go of the memory sector, computer must be restarted
in order to free up the memory. So,after rebooting, everything is fine.
Before this, I had printed a couple of documants and accessed two of the HD
on the XP machine
news8auk4h1m8ecnd52dgr99g1ghhke1chb38@4ax.com...

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:43:27 -0500, "KHogle" <khogle@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>New problem. Network finally works, however, after accessing files and the
>>>printer on the XP SP2 from Vista Home Premium SP1, both with updates
>>>installed, I find that the XP comp kind of freezes. I can move the mouse
>>>pointer, but if I click on a program, like the firewall or firefox, or any
>>>program, I see the hour glass for about 7 seconds, then nothing.
>>>
>>>Looking at sytsem events, it says that after network access, memory needs
>>>be let go, or something to that affect. Not sure how to approach this. And
>>>have mercy, I am doing this for the first time. It took a while to even
>>>get the netork up.

>> How are you "looking at system events"? What exactly does it say?

>In windows XP, you can enter computer management\event viewer and see a list
>of processes and programs which fail or have problems. In my case, the
>message with problems simply states that a network accessed a windows
>process and has not let go of the memory sector, computer must be restarted
>in order to free up the memory. So,after rebooting, everything is fine.
>Before this, I had printed a couple of documants and accessed two of the HD
>on the XP machine

If I understand correctly, you're running Event Viewer and looking at
an event in the Application log. Is that right?

What are the Source, Event ID, and the complete and exact description
of the event?