Can't connect new Vista Laptop to WLAN

Denis8991 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't connect new Vista Laptop to WLAN
I have a WLAN which is used by three clients, all running on XP. I use WEP security, and MAC filtering. I have now bought a new Vista laptop from HP, which can see the network, but when I try to connect, it tells me it cannot connect because the signal is too weak - even when the laptop is inches from the router.

I have also tried to obtain the MAC address of the wireless device in the new laptop - in CMD, typing IPCONFIG - and I get the response "Media State - media disconnected". I find this puzzling, as the HP Wireless Assistant tells me the WLAN connection is on. The problems with connectivity are the same whether I have MAC address filtering on or off.

I need to get this sorted, as the laptop is a Christmas present!!!

Finally, the laptop does connect to the router wired, but that defeats the object of a WLAN and a laptop!

Thanks

Denis
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't connect new Vista Laptop to WLAN
In my experience, Vista doesn't work well in WEP and Mac filtering. You may
just use one of them. Since other computers are XP, you may want to use WPA.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Denis8991" <Denis8991.3krno2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
newsenis8991.3krno2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I have a WLAN which is used by three clients, all running on XP. I use
> WEP security, and MAC filtering. I have now bought a new Vista laptop
> from HP, which can see the network, but when I try to connect, it tells
> me it cannot connect because the signal is too weak - even when the
> laptop is inches from the router.
>
> I have also tried to obtain the MAC address of the wireless device in
> the new laptop - in CMD, typing IPCONFIG - and I get the response "Media
> State - media disconnected". I find this puzzling, as the HP Wireless
> Assistant tells me the WLAN connection is on. The problems with
> connectivity are the same whether I have MAC address filtering on or
> off.
>
> I need to get this sorted, as the laptop is a Christmas present!!!
>
> Finally, the laptop does connect to the router wired, but that defeats
> the object of a WLAN and a laptop!
>
> Thanks
>
> Denis
>

> --
> Denis8991

Denis8991 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't connect new Vista Laptop to WLAN
Thanks for this. I have just remembered, that one of the laptops already connecting is using Vista, and I am using MAC filtering for that one, and WEP security. I just can't understand why I can't see the MAC address of the wireless device in IPCONFIG.

Denis
John McGaw

Denis8991 wrote:
> I have a WLAN which is used by three clients, all running on XP. I use
> WEP security, and MAC filtering. I have now bought a new Vista laptop
> from HP, which can see the network, but when I try to connect, it tells
> me it cannot connect because the signal is too weak - even when the
> laptop is inches from the router.
>
> I have also tried to obtain the MAC address of the wireless device in
> the new laptop - in CMD, typing IPCONFIG - and I get the response "Media
> State - media disconnected". I find this puzzling, as the HP Wireless
> Assistant tells me the WLAN connection is on. The problems with
> connectivity are the same whether I have MAC address filtering on or
> off.
>
> I need to get this sorted, as the laptop is a Christmas present!!!
>
> Finally, the laptop does connect to the router wired, but that defeats
> the object of a WLAN and a laptop!
>
> Thanks
>
> Denis

Well, there is always the chance that the wireless hardware in the new
laptop is DOA. It does happen. Is there anyplace else where you might try
it out -- a local coffee shop with WIFI perhaps?

--
John McGaw
http://johnmcgaw.com
Cy

Re: Can't connect new Vista Laptop to WLAN
In the command windows type IPCONFIG /ALL and you will see the
mac address.

Denis8991 wrote:
> Thanks for this. I have just remembered, that one of the laptops
> already connecting is using Vista, and I am using MAC filtering for that
> one, and WEP security. I just can't understand why I can't see the MAC
> address of the wireless device in IPCONFIG.
>
> Denis

Denis8991 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't connect new Vista Laptop to WLAN
Thank you for the responses. I took the laptop to work, and had the same thing with the local unsecured network. I contacted HP who got me to re-load the BIOS and the device driver, and it seems to work.

IPCONFIG /ALL works, and I now see the MAC address. However.....

When I click to "enter/select additional log on information", it comes up with a dialog box to "Enter Credentials", with User Name, Password and Logon Domain. I have tried many combinations without success - on all the other PCs I have connected, all I've had to do is enter the WEP key, so I'm not sure what the User name and Logon domain have to do with it!

Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy View Post

Denis8991 wrote:
> Thanks for this. I have just remembered, that one of the laptops
> already connecting is using Vista, and I am using MAC filtering for that
> one, and WEP security. I just can't understand why I can't see the MAC
> address of the wireless device in IPCONFIG.
>
> Denis

Barb Bowman

Re: Can't connect new Vista Laptop to WLAN
as was suggested previously, try WPA2 or at least WPA. you really
will be more secure and not open to data/identity theft and more as
you are with WEP. anyone that wants to break in to your network will
find tools to do so, even with MAC address filtering.

it sounds like the WEP configuration you setup is one that requires
authentication.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Denis8991 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't connect new Vista Laptop to WLAN
Thanks Barb. I do understand that WPA gives a higher level of security, and I have tried it, but it makes no difference. What I can't understand is that I have three XP computers and one Vista computer already connected to the network wirelessly by simply entering the WEP Key, yet the new Vista PC requires a user name, password and logon domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Bowman View Post

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
Barb Bowman

Re: Can't connect new Vista Laptop to WLAN
on the Vista machine, it sounds like you have checked the 802.1x
authentication setting.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Denis8991 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't connect new Vista Laptop to WLAN
[quote=Barb Bowman;1117679]on the Vista machine, it sounds like you have checked the 802.1x authentication setting.

Thanks for the quick response! I have looked, and there is no authentication setting selected. I have now got as far as adding the wlan in the "Managing Wireless Networks" section, and I now have entered the WEP Key in the appropriate place having told it that the network has WEP Encryption. I then go ahead and try to connect, and I still get the "Enter Credentials" box come up, asking for User Name, Password and Domain. I cannot get past that, and I know they are not settings on my network - it seems to be a Vista thing.

HP are sending me a Vista CD (didn't get one with the laptop), so that I can reload the operating system - would that help?