Vista and XP Sharing: Not enough server storage is available to process this command

DougG

Vista and XP Sharing: Not enough server storage is available to process this command
We have a peer-to-peer with 5 computers. Data is stored on a Vista 32x
computer. Three folders were created at the root and shared. The other
four computers are XP Prof and Vista 32x (2-2). A proprietary tax software
is being used on each computer. TrendMicro Internet Security 2009
installed.

After normal use one of the XP computers receives "Not enough server storage
is available to process this command". On the Vista computer with shares we
added the reg key IRPStackSize and then began slowly increasing the number
to its maximum of 50 (per article 177078). The issue is intermittent, but
once the message is received on one of the computers, the Vista computer
with the shares must be restarted.

Has someone had similar issues and resolved this? We are going to try the
following on Monday: uninstall virus protection, add the IRPStackSize to
each computer in our workgroup, and call proprietary software company. We
are kind of running out of options.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista and XP Sharing: Not enough server storage is available to process this command
Yes, this is what I would try first. Uninstall the 3rd party security
software and make it work first.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"DougG" <dougnews@REMOVEgentileconsulting.com> wrote in message
> We have a peer-to-peer with 5 computers. Data is stored on a Vista 32x
> computer. Three folders were created at the root and shared. The other
> four computers are XP Prof and Vista 32x (2-2). A proprietary tax
> software is being used on each computer. TrendMicro Internet Security
> 2009 installed.
>
> After normal use one of the XP computers receives "Not enough server
> storage is available to process this command". On the Vista computer with
> shares we added the reg key IRPStackSize and then began slowly increasing
> the number to its maximum of 50 (per article 177078). The issue is
> intermittent, but once the message is received on one of the computers,
> the Vista computer with the shares must be restarted.
>
> Has someone had similar issues and resolved this? We are going to try the
> following on Monday: uninstall virus protection, add the IRPStackSize to
> each computer in our workgroup, and call proprietary software company. We
> are kind of running out of options.

stuarto63

Re: Vista and XP Sharing: Not enough server storage is available to process this command

I have had this problem for a long while now. It disrupts the office
when we have to re-boot the shred server computer, which runs Vista. My
computer is the only one affected, I am the only one running XP service
pack 3.

When you say to uninstall the security software, AVG Free Edition, and
then redo the network, how should I proceed doing that. Could I
disconnect my computer from the network, uninstall AVG, reinstall it,
and then connect my computer?

--
stuarto63
stuarto63's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/93447.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Alfa50

Re: Vista and XP Sharing: Not enough server storage is available to process this command

I have the same with several systems.
I increased the IRPStackSize to the max of 50 dec. and noticed some
improvements. Other things that seems to be of influence are the
USB-devices plugged in (blue screens at plug in!). With the Vista
systems used as "server" I noticed the problem after some MS-updates
around jan/feb 2009. The problems occurred with antivirussoftw. of
Symantec, McAfee and AVG (free and the Internetsecurity version). I
understand that at the time of the above mentioned MS-updates there were
changes to prevent misuse of systems by malware etc. so that points in
the same direction for the IRPStackSize. Unfortunatly the max is 50.
IP chimney and other suggestions didn't work either.
It seems that for some systems it's more problematic than others (I
experienced it with HP and some self-builds). Even had big problems of
intermitting network contact with HP-multifunctions, but after the patch
for connection-stability that problem was solved. At the moment I reboot
the Vista "server"-systems at nighttime.
Windows7 doesn't fix this problem. Some systems with the same software
and configs don't seem to have any problem, but I can't see any logic in
it for chipsets or other hardware other than that some HP-systems seems
to be extremely sensitive for this issue.
btw Lowering the number of shares in combination of maximising the
IRPStackSize made it a little better for some systems while others
functioned OK.

Anybody with a solution?

--
Alfa50