Sporadic connection

dunn74

Sporadic connection

Hi,

I'm on Vista with a wireless connection. Up until recently, every once
in a while when I booted up I'd fail to get connected to the network -
rebooting would solve this most of the time.

Now, rebooting doesn't solve it, but at some random point during the
day (anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours), I will mysteriously
connect. This happens whether or not I'm actually at the computer - and
sometimes happens by me booting up, leaving the house for a significant
amount of time, then returning to find it connected.

Also, my network does show up - I just can't connect to it. I get
"click to diagnose and repair" or "connect to another network" (other
networks are also listed, neighbors and whatnot, but I wouldn't be able
to connect to those anyway as they're security enabled). If I choose
"diagnose and repair", I get the following:

Windows cannot connect to ....
Wireless association failed because Windows did not receive any
response from the wireless router or access point.

I should probably note also that I have a laptop also that works fine
every time, even when side by side with the non-connecting PC (so to me
that rules out distance and interference).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

--
dunn74
dunn74's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/dunn74.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\)

Re: Sporadic connection
Hi
I hope that the SSID of the Wireless Router is On and broadcasting.
These pages have organized info concerning Wireless might be that it will
help you to find the problem
(the examples are for WinXP but the principles are the same for Vista).
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)