Easy transfer cable

wulfit

Easy transfer cable
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question - if not, would
someone advise me of the correct group to use?
I want to connect a new laptop with Vista to and older one with XP - I only
want to copy files between the two so that I can use the old laptop as a
form of backup - I don't want to connect the machines for any other reason.
I have tried a crossover cable setup but I find it too complicated, and I am
not highly computer literate.
I found a wizard on my Vista machine for something called Windows Easy
Transfer, and one of the options is to use an Easy Transfer USB cable. Is
this type of setup easy to use, once the cable is connecting the two
machine? Hopefully it is a lot less complicated than the crossover cable.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Easy transfer cable
Hi
The special USB cable is a form of Network Crossover USB, its level of
difficulty would not be much different than crossover Ethernet.
Best thing in you case is to buy a USB Flash Drive, plug to the USB port of
one computer copy the files to it and then plug the Flash Drive to the
second and copy the files from the flash drive to the second computer.
Flash drive that can hold 4 to 8 GB of files are sold at your local stores
and the Internet for less than $20.
Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208094
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"wulfit" <wulfit@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question - if not, would
> someone advise me of the correct group to use?
> I want to connect a new laptop with Vista to and older one with XP - I
> only want to copy files between the two so that I can use the old laptop
> as a form of backup - I don't want to connect the machines for any other
> reason. I have tried a crossover cable setup but I find it too
> complicated, and I am not highly computer literate.
> I found a wizard on my Vista machine for something called Windows Easy
> Transfer, and one of the options is to use an Easy Transfer USB cable. Is
> this type of setup easy to use, once the cable is connecting the two
> machine? Hopefully it is a lot less complicated than the crossover cable.

wulfit

Re: Easy transfer cable
Thanks for that advice. I already have a 2Gb flash drive, so I might just
upgrade to a 4 or 8. I generally copy around 5Gb, which is why I thought
the cable might make life easier.