I'm getting really frustrated trying to access a Vista share from XP. Now,
before you jump the gun with one of the standard suggestions, please read:
1) I CAN access a share on the XP Pro share from the Vista Home Premium machine.
2) I CAN access a Public share on Vista with no problem.
3) I CAN access a share on Vista that has Everyone permissions.
4) I CANNOT access an administrative share on the Vista machine, neither C$ nor
a new one that I create (again, with NO other permissions except for
administrators). I can connect to the Vista share from XP but get an "access is
denied" when I go to the mapped drive
5) Both machines are in the same workgroup. (But I have had the same problem in
a domain environment.) Both machines have identical username/passwords for the
administrator logon. Pass-through authentication just ain't working. Nor does it
work if I explicitly supply the name/password (e.g., net use *
\\vistamachine\share /user:vistamachine\adminname adminpassword)
6) I have tried turning off firewall and UAC, to no avail.
I've read suggestion after suggestion on the net, and have found nothing that
helps. There sure seems to be a lot of folks that are having problems but most
of the "solutions" rely on #3 above (set permissions to everyone). I want a
Is this just plain broken or is there something else I am missing?