Aargh - accessing Vista share from XP??

zach

Aargh - accessing Vista share from XP??
I'm getting really frustrated trying to access a Vista share from XP. Now,
before you jump the gun with one of the standard suggestions, please read:

1) I CAN access a share on the XP Pro share from the Vista Home Premium machine.
2) I CAN access a Public share on Vista with no problem.
3) I CAN access a share on Vista that has Everyone permissions.
4) I CANNOT access an administrative share on the Vista machine, neither C$ nor
a new one that I create (again, with NO other permissions except for
administrators). I can connect to the Vista share from XP but get an "access is
denied" when I go to the mapped drive
5) Both machines are in the same workgroup. (But I have had the same problem in
a domain environment.) Both machines have identical username/passwords for the
administrator logon. Pass-through authentication just ain't working. Nor does it
work if I explicitly supply the name/password (e.g., net use *
\\vistamachine\share /user:vistamachine\adminname adminpassword)
6) I have tried turning off firewall and UAC, to no avail.

I've read suggestion after suggestion on the net, and have found nothing that
helps. There sure seems to be a lot of folks that are having problems but most
of the "solutions" rely on #3 above (set permissions to everyone). I want a
SECURE share.

Is this just plain broken or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks!
--
zach@nospamforme.com
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Aargh - accessing Vista share from XP??
This is by design. You may read these search results.

a.. Vista: Can't access administrative ...
2 posts - Last post: Sep 23, 2007
If for some reasons, you must access the administrative share from
other computers, you may enable administrator account in the Vista and ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=412

a.. Info: Vista Administrative Shares
a.. By default, Vista administrative shares e.g. C$, D$) are not shared by
default for security reasons. You should create your own shares to share
your drives ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=277

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"zach" <zach@dontspamonme.net> wrote in message
news8rgk4hfmuh3g8i2gut2949iosk9fsu4n9@4ax.com...
> I'm getting really frustrated trying to access a Vista share from XP. Now,
> before you jump the gun with one of the standard suggestions, please read:
>
> 1) I CAN access a share on the XP Pro share from the Vista Home Premium
> machine.
> 2) I CAN access a Public share on Vista with no problem.
> 3) I CAN access a share on Vista that has Everyone permissions.
> 4) I CANNOT access an administrative share on the Vista machine, neither
> C$ nor
> a new one that I create (again, with NO other permissions except for
> administrators). I can connect to the Vista share from XP but get an
> "access is
> denied" when I go to the mapped drive
> 5) Both machines are in the same workgroup. (But I have had the same
> problem in
> a domain environment.) Both machines have identical username/passwords for
> the
> administrator logon. Pass-through authentication just ain't working. Nor
> does it
> work if I explicitly supply the name/password (e.g., net use *
> \\vistamachine\share /user:vistamachine\adminname adminpassword)
> 6) I have tried turning off firewall and UAC, to no avail.
>
> I've read suggestion after suggestion on the net, and have found nothing
> that
> helps. There sure seems to be a lot of folks that are having problems but
> most
> of the "solutions" rely on #3 above (set permissions to everyone). I want
> SECURE share.
>
> Is this just plain broken or is there something else I am missing?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> zach@nospamforme.com

zach

Re: Aargh - accessing Vista share from XP??
So forget C$ - my post mentioned that I created a new share and that doesn't
work.

zach

"Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:

>This is by design. You may read these search results.
>
>a.. Vista: Can't access administrative ...
> 2 posts - Last post: Sep 23, 2007
> If for some reasons, you must access the administrative share from
>other computers, you may enable administrator account in the Vista and ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=412
>

>a.. Info: Vista Administrative Shares
>a.. By default, Vista administrative shares e.g. C$, D$) are not shared by
>default for security reasons. You should create your own shares to share
>your drives ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=277

--
zach@nospamforme.com
Zaphod Beeblebrox

> "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)" <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:
>
>>This is by design. You may read these search results.
>>
>>a.. Vista: Can't access administrative ...
>> 2 posts - Last post: Sep 23, 2007
>> If for some reasons, you must access the administrative share
>> from
>>other computers, you may enable administrator account in the Vista and
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=412
>>

>>a.. Info: Vista Administrative Shares
>>a.. By default, Vista administrative shares e.g. C$, D$) are not
>>shared by
>>default for security reasons. You should create your own shares to
>>share
>>your drives ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=277

> So forget C$ - my post mentioned that I created a new share and that
> doesn't
> work.

It's probably the same basic problem - by default in Vista,
administrators are not allowed to exercise their administrator
privileges across the network. The recommended approach would be to set
permissions on the share to allow specific users or a new group (like
'Network Admins'). If you feel like you must disable this aspect of
Vista's security, you can enable remote administrator priviliges by
adding a DWORD Value LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy set to 1 in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\system\
registry key.

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something
big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.

zach

Re: Aargh - accessing Vista share from XP??
Bingo! I can't add groups in Home Premium, but I explicitly added my Vista user
name to the share and pass-through authentication then worked.

Thank you, oh two-headed one!

--
zach@nospamforme.com
Zaphod Beeblebrox

> Bingo! I can't add groups in Home Premium, but I explicitly added my
> Vista user
> name to the share and pass-through authentication then worked.
>
> Thank you, oh two-headed one!

Glad I could help!