Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

re network hard drive

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
marty
 

Posts: n/a
re network hard drive
hi last night i posted a problem about downloading directly to a new nas
drive i think i have solved the problem by asigning it a static ip address
since i did this i have manged to download several files directly to it does
this sound okay or will it cause any problems
--
martyb
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
 

Posts: n/a
Re: re network hard drive
Hi
It is in Odd of your previous posts that you can can move files to the NAS,
and only Download is the problem.
However, it is perfectly OK to use a Static IP (actually it is the preferred
setting). Your Router might not do IP reservation and the IP of the NAS was
probably changing, and could not be found from one session to the other.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"marty" <marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2D177EF0-337B-44BB-9C05-414204FA842F@microsoft.com...
> hi last night i posted a problem about downloading directly to a new nas
> drive i think i have solved the problem by asigning it a static ip address
> since i did this i have manged to download several files directly to it
> does
> this sound okay or will it cause any problems
> --
> martyb


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
marty
 

Posts: n/a
Re: re network hard drive
thanks jack for your help i thought it was odd that i could copy/move
folders/files but not download to it aswell but it is ok now just one more
quick question if i make another folder does that have to be mapped or does
it map automatically because it is in a mapped drive
--
martyb


"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> It is in Odd of your previous posts that you can can move files to the NAS,
> and only Download is the problem.
> However, it is perfectly OK to use a Static IP (actually it is the preferred
> setting). Your Router might not do IP reservation and the IP of the NAS was
> probably changing, and could not be found from one session to the other.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "marty" <marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2D177EF0-337B-44BB-9C05-414204FA842F@microsoft.com...
> > hi last night i posted a problem about downloading directly to a new nas
> > drive i think i have solved the problem by asigning it a static ip address
> > since i did this i have manged to download several files directly to it
> > does
> > this sound okay or will it cause any problems
> > --
> > martyb

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2008
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
 

Posts: n/a
Re: re network hard drive
Hi
Usually if it is a folder under an already mapped drive you can log to the
drive and drill down to the folder. If you want the folder to be its own
entity you have to map it separately.
Example, you can map the whole drive as Drive N: (for Network), and then the
download folder would be N:\Folder, you can also Map the Folder as drive L:
(for downLoad), and then save to L: would save directly to this folder. Both
mapped drives can exist together.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"marty" <marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E2168B81-3269-4FBB-9B21-37238C9B966B@microsoft.com...
> thanks jack for your help i thought it was odd that i could copy/move
> folders/files but not download to it aswell but it is ok now just one more
> quick question if i make another folder does that have to be mapped or
> does
> it map automatically because it is in a mapped drive
> --
> martyb
>
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> It is in Odd of your previous posts that you can can move files to the
>> NAS,
>> and only Download is the problem.
>> However, it is perfectly OK to use a Static IP (actually it is the
>> preferred
>> setting). Your Router might not do IP reservation and the IP of the NAS
>> was
>> probably changing, and could not be found from one session to the other.
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> "marty" <marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2D177EF0-337B-44BB-9C05-414204FA842F@microsoft.com...
>> > hi last night i posted a problem about downloading directly to a new
>> > nas
>> > drive i think i have solved the problem by asigning it a static ip
>> > address
>> > since i did this i have manged to download several files directly to it
>> > does
>> > this sound okay or will it cause any problems
>> > --
>> > martyb

>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2008
marty
 

Posts: n/a
Re: re network hard drive
hi jack,i know its been a couple of days since you posted your reply ,not
being rude just busy getting this home network running ,I have taken all your
advice onboard and now it is running great i can access all my films from the
new hard drive wirelessly and so can the kids .Files are downloading okay now
,incidently i did not notice that the drive was pre-formatted in fat32 file
system so i reformatted it to ntfs the same as all my other drives the reason
for this was because i read in help/support that fat32 cannot have folders
/files above a certain size which is no good for hi-def films or even
standard def films if i choose to put all sequels in the same folder so
thanks for your help you were very helpfull
--
martyb


"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Usually if it is a folder under an already mapped drive you can log to the
> drive and drill down to the folder. If you want the folder to be its own
> entity you have to map it separately.
> Example, you can map the whole drive as Drive N: (for Network), and then the
> download folder would be N:\Folder, you can also Map the Folder as drive L:
> (for downLoad), and then save to L: would save directly to this folder. Both
> mapped drives can exist together.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "marty" <marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E2168B81-3269-4FBB-9B21-37238C9B966B@microsoft.com...
> > thanks jack for your help i thought it was odd that i could copy/move
> > folders/files but not download to it aswell but it is ok now just one more
> > quick question if i make another folder does that have to be mapped or
> > does
> > it map automatically because it is in a mapped drive
> > --
> > martyb
> >
> >
> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> It is in Odd of your previous posts that you can can move files to the
> >> NAS,
> >> and only Download is the problem.
> >> However, it is perfectly OK to use a Static IP (actually it is the
> >> preferred
> >> setting). Your Router might not do IP reservation and the IP of the NAS
> >> was
> >> probably changing, and could not be found from one session to the other.
> >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
> >>
> >> "marty" <marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:2D177EF0-337B-44BB-9C05-414204FA842F@microsoft.com...
> >> > hi last night i posted a problem about downloading directly to a new
> >> > nas
> >> > drive i think i have solved the problem by asigning it a static ip
> >> > address
> >> > since i did this i have manged to download several files directly to it
> >> > does
> >> > this sound okay or will it cause any problems
> >> > --
> >> > martyb
> >>
> >>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2008
Linda Amar
 

Posts: n/a
Re: re network hard drive
"marty" <marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2D177EF0-337B-44BB-9C05-414204FA842F@microsoft.com...
> hi last night i posted a problem about downloading directly to a new nas
> drive i think i have solved the problem by asigning it a static ip address
> since i did this i have manged to download several files directly to it
> does
> this sound okay or will it cause any problems
> --
> martyb


Thank you for this info--I used it on my D-Link NAS-321 network drive. I
couldn't access the drive before--could find it, but not open it or map it.
I have a static IP block of 5, of which only two were assigned, so this was
a good work-around for me in Vista.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
network hard drive marty microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 12-16-2008 22:42
network hard drive problem marty microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 12-16-2008 00:56
Problem downloading from network hard drive G├Âran microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 03-07-2008 01:55
Connecting Buffalo network hard drive to Vista jackbenimble999@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 12-18-2007 15:52
Network init locks up hard drive Tom Edwards microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 05-08-2007 19:13




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:50.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120