Public change to Private network

GrayJay

Public change to Private network
I have a dual boot system xp and vista. I wanted to experience vista before
getting rid of xp
I made a mistake and set my network to public when setting up.
No matter what I do I can not seem to get vista to keep the private network
setting permanently.
After it cant find one in public, I can change it to private and eventually
get an internet connection.
I believe if I can get it to be set permanently to private I would be able
to connect to the internet after booting up.
It always defaults to public upon a new boot up.

I have a D-Link WBR-1310 router that took me a week to find a Microsoft link
showing a fix for routers that did not
recognize the way Vista connects to the internet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Public change to Private network
Hi
The days of double partition are kind of over.
Download the free Microsoft Virtual PC 2007,
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...c/default.mspx
You can install on it Vista, or and, many other OS'.
The OS' can work in tandem, Networked between themselves, and use the
Internet. It provides much better experience than double partition.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"GrayJay" <NorthPole@HOHOHO.com> wrote in message
>I have a dual boot system xp and vista. I wanted to experience vista
>before getting rid of xp
> I made a mistake and set my network to public when setting up.
> No matter what I do I can not seem to get vista to keep the private
> network setting permanently.
> After it cant find one in public, I can change it to private and
> eventually get an internet connection.
> I believe if I can get it to be set permanently to private I would be able
> to connect to the internet after booting up.
> It always defaults to public upon a new boot up.
>

> I have a D-Link WBR-1310 router that took me a week to find a Microsoft
> link showing a fix for routers that did not
> recognize the way Vista connects to the internet.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Martins

Re: Public change to Private network
I had a similar problem and have a solution, though, it might not be exactly
what is wanted, it has worked for me.
My network is identified as :"Unidentified Network" in Network and Sharing
Center, I ran the Securty Policy Editor (Start->Run "secpol.msc" )

Select Network List Policies under Security Settings and then select
:Unidentifed Network from theNetwork Names displayed, then
Action->Properties and then set the location type to Private. Since Vista
won't let me change the name of the network on my system is allways
Unidentifed and set to private, not something I would think you would want
to do with a network that is truly "unidentified".

Hope this helps

Martins