Vista connection is unstable

PaulH7436

Vista connection is unstable
My Vista desktop is upstairs from the Westell router and connected with a
Linksys USB adapter. It drop the network several times per hour while
streaming audio and browsing. The Acer laptop next to it uses XP Home and
has a dependable connection. The Toshiba (Vista) laptop downstairs (10 feet
from router) is very dependable. Linksys offers no changes to setting to
improve signal reception. I have tried various channels on the router,
changed from WEP to WPA, varied the location of the USB adapter within the
room and uninstalled/reinstalled the adapter and no significant improvement.
Any suggestion before I run 40' of cable through the walls? THANKS!
PaulH7436

RE: Vista connection is unstable
sorry for the duplicate message!!!

"PaulH7436" wrote:

> My Vista desktop is upstairs from the Westell router and connected with a
> Linksys USB adapter. It drop the network several times per hour while
> streaming audio and browsing. The Acer laptop next to it uses XP Home and
> has a dependable connection. The Toshiba (Vista) laptop downstairs (10 feet
> from router) is very dependable. Linksys offers no changes to setting to
> improve signal reception. I have tried various channels on the router,
> changed from WEP to WPA, varied the location of the USB adapter within the
> room and uninstalled/reinstalled the adapter and no significant improvement.
> Any suggestion before I run 40' of cable through the walls? THANKS!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista connection is unstable
Have you checked if there is a new firmware for the router or new driver for
NIC?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"PaulH7436" <PaulH7436@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Vista desktop is upstairs from the Westell router and connected with a
> Linksys USB adapter. It drop the network several times per hour while
> streaming audio and browsing. The Acer laptop next to it uses XP Home and
> has a dependable connection. The Toshiba (Vista) laptop downstairs (10
> feet
> from router) is very dependable. Linksys offers no changes to setting to
> improve signal reception. I have tried various channels on the router,
> changed from WEP to WPA, varied the location of the USB adapter within the
> room and uninstalled/reinstalled the adapter and no significant
> improvement.
> Any suggestion before I run 40' of cable through the walls? THANKS!

PaulH7436

Re: Vista connection is unstable
My ISP that supplied the router did not mention an update but I will inquire.
By using an extension cable on the USB adapter, I seem to have a better
signal. Thanks!