unstable in Vista

PaulH7436

unstable in Vista
My Vista Home Premium desktop uses a Lunksys USB adapter to access my network
and has an unstable connection. It drops signal several times per hour while
I am streaming audio and frequently resets itself seconds after the buffer is
finnished. Sometimes it never resets and tells me to pul in the cable to the
router and displays no available wireless networks. Disconnecting the USB
adapter will reset things until the next signal drop. The Acer laptop (XP
Home) sitting next to my desktop maintains a reliable connection at all
times. Both of these machines are upstairs from the router. The Toshiba
(Vista) laptop, in the downstairs, ten feet from the router has a dependable
connection. I have changed channels to no avail. My ISP suggested changing
from WEP to WPA security and no improvement. Linksys says there are no
settings on which to adjust my USB adapter. I have tried it in various
locations in the room, etc. and no improvement. I have tried that adapter on
other laptops in other homes and it seems dependable. Any suggestions before
I run 50' of cable through my walls? THANKS!
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: unstable in Vista
Hi
50' through walls indicate that your Desktop is in another room away from
the Router.
Might be that you have marginal signal. Try to get a USB extension cable and
use it in order to position the USB Module above the system so that the
signal would not be obstructed.
Otherwise get a better Wireless card with a directional Antenna pointing to
the Wireless source, or use a cable.
In general.
Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"PaulH7436" <PaulH7436@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Vista Home Premium desktop uses a Lunksys USB adapter to access my
> network
> and has an unstable connection. It drops signal several times per hour
> while
> I am streaming audio and frequently resets itself seconds after the buffer
> is
> finnished. Sometimes it never resets and tells me to pul in the cable to
> the
> router and displays no available wireless networks. Disconnecting the USB
> adapter will reset things until the next signal drop. The Acer laptop (XP
> Home) sitting next to my desktop maintains a reliable connection at all
> times. Both of these machines are upstairs from the router. The Toshiba
> (Vista) laptop, in the downstairs, ten feet from the router has a
> dependable
> connection. I have changed channels to no avail. My ISP suggested
> changing
> from WEP to WPA security and no improvement. Linksys says there are no
> settings on which to adjust my USB adapter. I have tried it in various
> locations in the room, etc. and no improvement. I have tried that adapter
> on
> other laptops in other homes and it seems dependable. Any suggestions
> before
> I run 50' of cable through my walls? THANKS!

PaulH7436

Re: unstable in Vista
Thanks, the relocation of the USB adapter with an extension cable seems to be
working.