Connect Vista to existing XP - 98 wired network

sheppardwk

Connect Vista to existing XP - 98 wired network
I am trying to connect a new laptop with Windows Vista to our existing home
network currently utilizing a wired router. The XP and 98 computers
currently work fine and both have file sharing options enabled and are able
to "see" each other and connect to each other. All three (3) computers have
the same network name, but I am having several problems connecting Vista to
the network.

I do not see any options in Vista to connect using a wired ethernet - all of
the options presented in the wizard identify wireless connections. How
does one indicate the intent to use a wired connection? Also, Vista has
numerous options regarding Public versus Private ad File Sharing? This is a
home network, so I'm assuming this should be a private connection. Where do
I start to change from Public to Private and/or back from Private to Public?
File sharing as well?

At one point during my trial and error, while using the XP and clicking on
My Network, I could see the laptop in the directory tree, but when I clicked
on it, a password request popped up. The puzzling part of this, is that a
password was never requested in the Vista.

I think I read that I need to install the Link-Layer Topology onto the XP
and 98 computer, but other than that I'm not sure what else I have to do.
Any recommendations, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Malke

Re: Connect Vista to existing XP - 98 wired network
sheppardwk wrote:

> I am trying to connect a new laptop with Windows Vista to our existing
> home
> network currently utilizing a wired router. The XP and 98 computers
> currently work fine and both have file sharing options enabled and are
> able
> to "see" each other and connect to each other. All three (3) computers
> have the same network name, but I am having several problems connecting
> Vista to the network.
>
> I do not see any options in Vista to connect using a wired ethernet - all
> of
> the options presented in the wizard identify wireless connections. How
> does one indicate the intent to use a wired connection? Also, Vista has
> numerous options regarding Public versus Private ad File Sharing? This is
> home network, so I'm assuming this should be a private connection. Where
> do I start to change from Public to Private and/or back from Private to
> Public? File sharing as well?
>
> At one point during my trial and error, while using the XP and clicking on
> My Network, I could see the laptop in the directory tree, but when I
> clicked
> on it, a password request popped up. The puzzling part of this, is that a
> password was never requested in the Vista.
>
> I think I read that I need to install the Link-Layer Topology onto the XP
> and 98 computer, but other than that I'm not sure what else I have to do.
> Any recommendations, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Since Win98-to-Vista isn't supported, I don't know if the following will
work for you. You can Google for "Win98 Vista networking" if it doesn't. As
for the rest of it:

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

sheppardwk

Re: Connect Vista to existing XP - 98 wired network
I appreciate the reply, but it appears as though this a "cut and paste"
response because I already mentioned that all 3 computers have the same
workgroup name. In addition, the XP and 98 network already works - I've
previously run the Network Setup Wizard on the XP and 98 computer. Do I need
to run the XP wizrd on the Vista computer?

We are not running the Windows Firewall, and at one point during my trial
and error, while using the XP and clicking on My Network, I could see the
laptop in the directory tree. But when I clicked on it, a password request
popped up. The puzzling part of this, is that a password was never requested
in the Vista.

I'm not sure if matching user accounts are the same on all three (3)
computers - I'll have to check.

sheppardwk wrote:

> I appreciate the reply, but it appears as though this a "cut and paste"
> response because I already mentioned that all 3 computers have the same
> workgroup name. In addition, the XP and 98 network already works - I've
> previously run the Network Setup Wizard on the XP and 98 computer. Do I
> need to run the XP wizrd on the Vista computer?
>
> We are not running the Windows Firewall, and at one point during my trial
> and error, while using the XP and clicking on My Network, I could see the
> laptop in the directory tree. But when I clicked on it, a password
> request
> popped up. The puzzling part of this, is that a password was never
> requested in the Vista.
>
> I'm not sure if matching user accounts are the same on all three (3)
> computers - I'll have to check.

Yes of course it's "cut and paste". I spent a lot of time writing these
instructions and I'm certainly not going to type it all out every time
someone needs help with networking - which is often. I would expect that
anyone with a bit of brain would know to take the bits that are applicable
to them and not unduly worry themselves over anything that might be
repeated.

You cannot run the XP networking wizard on Vista. I gave you a link to Vista
networking which should answer the questions about how to set up Vista
correctly. Please re-read Section C. I suspect that's your issue.

I certainly hope you are running *some* firewall and naturally that needs to
be configured correctly, too.

Malke