Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.

Grand_Poobah

Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.
My HP laptop is connecting just fine using either it's wireless or wired
method. However, I need to change the IP address (I use static
addresses). When I open the Local Area Connection Status I see the
usual Local Area Connection Properties when I click the Properties
button. Clicking "Details" shows my current IP address.

What happens next is really strange: I see the "Client for Microsoft
Networks" which appears instantly. If I wait for five or ten minutes
MAYBE the rest of the usual items will appear. Most times they won't.
When they do not appear, I try using the Install button. I get the
three item list (Client, Service, & Protocol) but no matter which one I
choose and click "Add" I get the following message:

"Could not add the requested feature. The error is: The system cannot
find the file specified"

If all the various items DO appear, any attempt to change the IP address
(by highlighting the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) - whose box
is checked) results in the Properties button remaining grayed out. I
can't double-click it, right-click it, or anything else. Also, somehow,
the TCP/IPv6 entry's box has become UNchecked - and I can't make it check.

Since I cannot get to the IP properties, how can I change the IP address?

System is Vista Home Premium (32-bit) with all updates and whatnot. No

Am I making any sense?

GP

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.

You may try to run this command: net localgroup "Administrators" "Local
Service" /add. More details can be found here:
Vista issues
Network and sharing center freezes, server execution failed · Network
and Sharing Center .... You should create your own shares to share your
drives . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Grand_Poobah" <whatever@yaddayadda.kom> wrote in message
> My HP laptop is connecting just fine using either it's wireless or wired
> method. However, I need to change the IP address (I use static
> addresses). When I open the Local Area Connection Status I see the
> usual Local Area Connection Properties when I click the Properties button.
> Clicking "Details" shows my current IP address.
>
> What happens next is really strange: I see the "Client for Microsoft
> Networks" which appears instantly. If I wait for five or ten minutes
> MAYBE the rest of the usual items will appear. Most times they won't.
> When they do not appear, I try using the Install button. I get the three
> item list (Client, Service, & Protocol) but no matter which one I choose
> and click "Add" I get the following message:
>
> "Could not add the requested feature. The error is: The system cannot
> find the file specified"
>
> If all the various items DO appear, any attempt to change the IP address
> (by highlighting the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) - whose box
> is checked) results in the Properties button remaining grayed out. I
> can't double-click it, right-click it, or anything else. Also, somehow,
> the TCP/IPv6 entry's box has become UNchecked - and I can't make it check.
>
> Since I cannot get to the IP properties, how can I change the IP address?
>
> System is Vista Home Premium (32-bit) with all updates and whatnot. No
>
> Am I making any sense?
>
> GP

Grand_Poobah

Re: Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.
Robert:

Thanks for all those discussions. I read through every one of them and
nothing appears to match my specific problem. I still cannot change my
IP address no matter what. I cannot get to the level of the IP protocol
to change it. The Properties remains grayed out even in the rare
instance that the protocol (TCP/IPv4 or 6) appears.

I find now that I can force all the various protocols/services to appear
every time if I click Install and immediately click Cancel on the
pop-up. Strange as it may seem.

I still cannot get the TCP/IPv6 box to 'check' for me though. I can
highlight it, but cannot put a check in the box. I know for certain
that it WAS checked when I first got the computer and put my IP address
in initially.

I now need to change my IP address but cannot.

Is there a 'net' command that will change an IP address? I am just not
up on networking - especially through a Vista interface. I should buy a
Networking for Dummies book I guess.

GP

--->

> You may try to run this command: net localgroup "Administrators" "Local
> Service" /add. More details can be found here:
> Vista issues
> Network and sharing center freezes, server execution failed ·
> Network and Sharing Center .... You should create your own shares to
> share your drives . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm

Grand_Poobah

Re: Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.
Further information. I rebooted the laptop this morning and never was
able to get to the Internet. I am on my trusty XP Pro machine right now.

The Vista laptop shows either "limited or no connectivity" or "Local
Only" depending on whether I make it 'private' or 'public'. Once it
showed "Identifying" for an hour before I finally gave up. There is
something very wrong about this.

I am beginning to thing that putting VMWare on the machine and then
having to literally rip it off by hand damaged some IP files badly. I
may have to see if I can put new drivers on it - otherwise I guess I'm
screwed.

GP
Grand_Poobah

Re: Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.
Even more (and this is really cool):

I am posting from the affected laptop BUT the Network and Sharing Center
tells me "You are not connected to any network".

I plugged my network cable into the laptop and it fiddled around for
about ten seconds and then I was able to start up the browser and my
email client. All worked just fine - I would think that if Vista tells
me I am not connected, then is REALLY something goofed up in the machine.

GP
Grand_Poobah

Re: Network/Sharing Center -> properties question.
Robert:

My last word on this. I managed to shoot myself in the foot - but
recovered. In my last post I mentioned that I had to rip VMWare off my
computer. I did that a bit ago while I was on a trip and just forgot
about doing it. Every Registry entry I removed I exported first so I
started inserting each .REG file one at a time (all 42 of them). As
luck would have it, #38 completely fixed this problem.

I do appreciate your help as one of the links you provided gave me the
reminder about VMWare not mixing well with Vista under certain
circumstances.

Case closed. Reminder to myself: Be careful out there.

GP
neorocks

Grand_Poobah;4129484 Wrote:
> My HP laptop is connecting just fine using either it's wireless or
> wired
> method. However, I need to change the IP address (I use static
> addresses). When I open the Local Area Connection Status I see the
> usual Local Area Connection Properties when I click the Properties
> button. Clicking "Details" shows my current IP address.
>
> What happens next is really strange: I see the "Client for Microsoft
> Networks" which appears instantly. If I wait for five or ten minutes
> MAYBE the rest of the usual items will appear. Most times they won't.
> When they do not appear, I try using the Install button. I get the
> three item list (Client, Service, & Protocol) but no matter which one
> choose and click "Add" I get the following message:
>
> "Could not add the requested feature. The error is: The system cannot
> find the file specified"
>
> If all the various items DO appear, any attempt to change the IP
> address
> (by highlighting the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) - whose
> box
> is checked) results in the Properties button remaining grayed out. I
> can't double-click it, right-click it, or anything else. Also,
> somehow,
> the TCP/IPv6 entry's box has become UNchecked - and I can't make it
> check.
>
> Since I cannot get to the IP properties, how can I change the IP
> address?
>
> System is Vista Home Premium (32-bit) with all updates and whatnot.
> No
>
> Am I making any sense?
>
> GP

A tad belated but you are making a lot of sense! I've faced this
issue

You may have been able to solve this problem by now. But for those who
are facing this issue (like I did a while back) here's the quick tip -

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network
3. Right-click this subkey, click Export, and then save the selected
branch in a file.
4. Click the Network subkey again, and then delete the Config entry.
Do not delete the Network subkey. The Config entry will be reconstructed
when you restart the computer.
5. Restart the computer. You may have to manually turn off the
computer.

In my case: I could not install client, service or protocol -
additional details/error messages:

Could not add the requested feature. The error is the system cannot
find the file specified
You must install and enable at least one protocol for this connection
to work. Do you want to select a protocol now?
An unexpected error occured. Not all of your requested changes in
settings could be made.
Found new hardware - Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet
Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your
device
The system can not find the file specified
Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error
while attempting to install it
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the
drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
could not add the requested feature. The error is:the system cannot
find the file specified.

I tried several approaches but nothing worked till I stumbled upon the
"fix" mentioned above. By the way I am using VISTA business 32bit!

Not sure what the source of the "fix" was, maybe it was this link -
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-245431.php

All the best!

--
neorocks