Can't Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop

edthec

Can't Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop

I have a Canon I960 connected via USB to a Desktop running XP. My Laptop
is running Vista Home Premium (64 bits) and connected to my Desktop via
a Linksys wireless router.

I can access files on the Desktop from my Laptop and access files on my
Laptop from my Desktop. I can print from my Desktop but cannot print
from my Laptop.

I know that many others have had the same problem and have tried the
solutions that solved their problems -- none worked for me.

Can someone please help me before I pull the last of my hair from my
head!

--
edthec
edthec's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/edthec.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Can't Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop
Hi
It makes it stressful to give an answer since who knows what you mean by: "I
tried what other do".
If you do not list what you did how can any one knows what did you actually
tried?
The most common issue is the lack of the printer's 64bits drivers on the
Vista computer, or and, Firewall blocking the printing traffic.
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"edthec" <edthec.3kdg3b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I have a Canon I960 connected via USB to a Desktop running XP. My Laptop
> is running Vista Home Premium (64 bits) and connected to my Desktop via
> a Linksys wireless router.
>
> I can access files on the Desktop from my Laptop and access files on my
> Laptop from my Desktop. I can print from my Desktop but cannot print
> from my Laptop.
>
> I know that many others have had the same problem and have tried the
> solutions that solved their problems -- none worked for me.
>
> Can someone please help me before I pull the last of my hair from my
> head!
>

> --
> edthec
> edthec's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/edthec.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1087130.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

edthec

Re: Can't Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop

Sorry to be stressful but I've done everything listed in the web
addresses in your response. Still no luck.

I think the address you listed first applies only to a network where
both or all PC's are operating XP. My previous laptop had an XP
operating system and I had no problem accessing the printer from it.

Pretty much of the above applies to your second referenc. I do not
receive any warning messages and can access all files and folders on the
XP computer with my Vista laptop.

Re your third reference, I attempted to install the LLTD patch on the
XP computer and a message popped up saying it was already installed as
part of Service Pack 3.

Any other ideas?

--
edthec
edthec's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/edthec.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1087130.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

LVTravel

"edthec" <edthec.3kdtzb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Sorry to be stressful but I've done everything listed in the web
> addresses in your response. Still no luck.
>
> I think the address you listed first applies only to a network where
> both or all PC's are operating XP. My previous laptop had an XP
> operating system and I had no problem accessing the printer from it.
>
> Pretty much of the above applies to your second referenc. I do not
> receive any warning messages and can access all files and folders on the
> XP computer with my Vista laptop.
>
> Re your third reference, I attempted to install the LLTD patch on the
> XP computer and a message popped up saying it was already installed as
> part of Service Pack 3.
>
> Any other ideas?
>

> --
> edthec
> edthec's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/edthec.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1087130.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Have you downloaded and installed the Vista 64 bit driver onto the Vista
machine?
See
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...1&modelid=9388

edthec

Re: Can't Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop

LVTRAVEL,

I've downloaded the Canon i960 64 bit driver (AOMVSTEA23US.EXE), saved
it on my laptop, but I can't get it to unzip. It says it installed
correcdtly.

When I add a printer it says it installed correctly. But when I try to
print a test page it queues but I get an "Error - Printing" on the
pop-up when I look at the printer queue.

This is driving me crazy!

--
edthec
edthec's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/edthec.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1087130.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Jack

Re: Can't Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop

"edthec" <edthec.3kdg3b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I have a Canon I960 connected via USB to a Desktop running XP. My Laptop
> is running Vista Home Premium (64 bits) and connected to my Desktop via
> a Linksys wireless router.
>
> I can access files on the Desktop from my Laptop and access files on my
> Laptop from my Desktop. I can print from my Desktop but cannot print
> from my Laptop.
>
> I know that many others have had the same problem and have tried the
> solutions that solved their problems -- none worked for me.
>
> Can someone please help me before I pull the last of my hair from my
> head!
>

> --
> edthec
> edthec's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/edthec.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1087130.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

This is how I got my Vista Laptop to Print to a Shared Laser Printer which
is connected via USB to my XP Desktop computer.

1. On your Vista Laptop, Go to Control Panel - Choose Printer - Then Choose
Add Printer

2. Choose Add Local Printer

3. Click on Create a New Port, the default in the drop down list is Local
Port. Do Not Change this. Click Next. You may have to type in Local Port.
You will then be presented with a list of printer manufacturers. Select your
vendor and specific printer from the list. If your printer is not listed,
select the closest match.

4. A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
\\computer name\printer name. For example, My computer's name is Office and
the printer's name is Office Printer, so I typed in \\Office\Office Printer.
You can find out the name of your printer by Browsing for available network
printers BEFORE you do step number 2 above. This is accomplished by doing
step number 1, but select Add Network, Wireless or Bluetooth Printer. Vista
will search for available Printer. Right down exactly how you have named
your XP printer.

5. You should now be able to print from you Vista Machine to a XP Printer.

edthec

Re: Can't Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop

Thanks a ton for the help! Your method worked!

--
edthec
edthec's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/edthec.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1087130.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Mekiel

Re: Can't Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop

Jack,

Thanks for your help! Worked for me too.

-M

--
Mekiel
Mekiel's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mekiel.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1087130.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

mmeenan

Re: Can't Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop

Hi, I am having the same problem being discussed in this thread. A
Vista laptop (wireless) and an XP desktop, hardwired to printer and
router. I can share files and internet without issues, I cannot print
from the laptop. I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX620 printer. To
install the drivers on the laptop. I connected to the printer via USB
and let Vista download the drivers (my Epson CD was incompatible with
Vista). I can see the newly installed printer, but it wants to connect
via the usb port.

I follow the instructions you gave in the post to edthec, but it seems
to have only made a copy from the previous installation. It added an
(M) to the printer name, which I don't understand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Maureen

--
mmeenan
mmeenan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mmeenan.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1087130.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

mmeenan

Re: Can't Print From Vista Laptop to Printer on XP Desktop

Never mind -- I got it!!!

Apparently, my printer was NOT called Epson Stylus . . . ., instead it
was called printer3 (I don't know why, I only have 1 printer). Once I
discovered that, I could point the port to the correct path on my
desktop and your instructions worked worked like a charm. Thanks for
posting them for all to see.

Maureen