Ethernet Vista-to-Vista

Gale Green

Ethernet Vista-to-Vista

Hi all.

I'm trying this message again because I haven't had a useful answer
but, having had some answers, and it's weekend, the original is likely
to be overlooked. I've had this problem for three weeks now, so it's
becoming urgent.

I have two PCs, each running Vista Business, which are connected by an
Ethernet cable.

I can see and navigate the Public folders in both directions but my
own folders, although visible in both directions, can only be accessed
one way, say from machine A to machine B. When I try from machine B,
shared folders are visible on machine A, but give "Access is denied"
when I click on them.

I have read that the network should be made Private but every time I
make it Private, on both machines, after a short time it reverts to
Public of its own accord.

Anyone have any ideas?

Gale.
Malke

Re: Ethernet Vista-to-Vista
Gale Green wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm trying this message again because I haven't had a useful answer
> but, having had some answers, and it's weekend, the original is likely
> to be overlooked. I've had this problem for three weeks now, so it's
> becoming urgent.
>
> I have two PCs, each running Vista Business, which are connected by an
> Ethernet cable.
>
> I can see and navigate the Public folders in both directions but my
> own folders, although visible in both directions, can only be accessed
> one way, say from machine A to machine B. When I try from machine B,
> shared folders are visible on machine A, but give "Access is denied"
> when I click on them.

This is most probably because of not creating matching user
accounts/passwords. See below.

Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this. The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP