Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista-to-Vista Ethernet

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2008
Gale Green
 

Posts: n/a
Vista-to-Vista Ethernet

Hi all.

I have two PCs, each running Vista Business, which are connected by an
Ethernet cable.

I can see the Public folders in both directions but my own folders,
although visible in both directions, can only be accessed one way, say
from machine A to machine B. When I try from machine B, shared folders
are visible on machine A, but give "Access is denied" when I click on
them.

I have read that the network should be made Private but every time I
make it Private, on both machines, after a short time it reverts to
Public of its own accord.

Anyone have any ideas?

Gale.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista-to-Vista Ethernet
"Gale Green" <gale@databeat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:59e5k4hpl17fj6i7oo2l0q2i71f4nlque1@4ax.com...
>
> Hi all.
>
> I have two PCs, each running Vista Business, which are connected by an
> Ethernet cable.
>
> I can see the Public folders in both directions but my own folders,
> although visible in both directions, can only be accessed one way, say
> from machine A to machine B. When I try from machine B, shared folders
> are visible on machine A, but give "Access is denied" when I click on
> them.
>
> I have read that the network should be made Private but every time I
> make it Private, on both machines, after a short time it reverts to
> Public of its own accord.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?


Might be a silly question, but if the two machines are connected direct
without a hub or switch, you do realise you need a crossover cable, not just
a plain patch cable?



--
Asking a question?
Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
your OS, Service Pack level
and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2008
Gale Green
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista-to-Vista Ethernet
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:32:45 -0000, "Gordon"
<gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>Might be a silly question, but if the two machines are connected direct
>without a hub or switch, you do realise you need a crossover cable, not just
>a plain patch cable?


I wouldn't know the difference, but it's the same cable that's been
connecting XP-to-XP for the past three years. The two computers have
been replaced with Vista machines, and now it won't work.

Thanks for the reply.

Gale.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2008
Michael Walraven
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista-to-Vista Ethernet
Aside:
Some newer Ethernet ports are able to determine that a crossover is need and
to do that internally. Magic

Michael


"Gale Green" <gale@databeat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:q6g5k4pq678mjn6eduikkbmv69a2jee0ht@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:32:45 -0000, "Gordon"
> <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Might be a silly question, but if the two machines are connected direct
>>without a hub or switch, you do realise you need a crossover cable, not
>>just
>>a plain patch cable?

>
> I wouldn't know the difference, but it's the same cable that's been
> connecting XP-to-XP for the past three years. The two computers have
> been replaced with Vista machines, and now it won't work.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Gale.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2008
Gordon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista-to-Vista Ethernet
"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
news:e%23tSVoJXJHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Aside:
> Some newer Ethernet ports are able to determine that a crossover is need
> and to do that internally. Magic
>



Magic indeed!

--
Asking a question?
Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
your OS, Service Pack level
and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2008
Chuck
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista-to-Vista Ethernet
I believe that this might be part of the problem. Further we have also had
the public/private problem occasionally occur, and do not know what is
causing the change, let alone how to stop it.

"I have read that the network should be made Private but every time I
make it Private, on both machines, after a short time it reverts to
Public of its own accord."

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:O3yGhtJXJHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> news:e%23tSVoJXJHA.4632@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Aside:
>> Some newer Ethernet ports are able to determine that a crossover is need
>> and to do that internally. Magic
>>

>
>
> Magic indeed!
>
> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008
Bellerophon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista-to-Vista Ethernet

Chuck;909985 Wrote:
> I believe that this might be part of the problem. Further we have also
> had
> the public/private problem occasionally occur, and do not know what is
> causing the change, let alone how to stop it.
>
> "I have read that the network should be made Private but every time I
> make it Private, on both machines, after a short time it reverts to
> Public of its own accord."
>
> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:O3yGhtJXJHA.1528@xxxxxx> > >
> > > "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > news:e%23tSVoJXJHA.4632@xxxxxx> > > > >
> > > >> Aside:
> > > >> Some newer Ethernet ports are able to determine that a crossover is
> > > need
> > > >> and to do that internally. Magic
> > > >>> > > > >
> > >
> > > Magic indeed!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Asking a question?
> > > Please tell us the version of the application you are asking

> > about,
> > > your OS, Service Pack level
> > > and the FULL contents of any error message(s) > >


I have the same problem of the networks reverting back to public from
private. Networking Vista x64 and Win 7 beta. I suspect this may be a
firewall issue as it always needs resetting after bootiing up.

I have a crossover cable but not too sure if this connection is being
used as filetransfers are mucho mucho slow, around 20 mins for a 700mb
file.


--
Bellerophon

"Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."

-'www.iamapc.co.uk' (http://iamapc.co.uk/)-
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Security World: Protect data on high service quality Ethernet circuits with Ethernet Encryptor 10G Steve Security News 0 12-08-2008 15:10
Ethernet connection between Vista/XP Victory-Starr microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 06-26-2008 16:24
Vista uses wi-fi rather than Ethernet for LAN traffic? turnstyle microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 12 12-06-2007 16:16
Ethernet connection with Vista Jo microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 10-26-2007 16:15
Vista and ethernet modem Stuart Falconer microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 05-11-2007 16:47




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:16.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120