Windows cannot find my network

ColorStruck's Avatar

Location: Washington, DC
ColorStruck is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows cannot find my network
I have Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit
After I did a windows easy transfer last night from my desktop (Dell Dimension) to my new laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525) , I noticed that, after I did a reboot, Windows could no longer find the network that the computer is connected to. I have to manually turn it on by doing a Windows network repair every time I turn the laptop on or restart it. My laptop connected to the Internet wirelessly through a local home network (Comcast). My old computer, a Dell desktop (Vista Home Premium 32 bit) is connected through a Linksys modem. When I got my new Dell laptop couple days ago and added it to the network, everything worked normal, there were no problems, and whenever I turned the laptop on, Windows automatically locates the network, just like it's supposed to. Now, it doesn't. Now, when I turn the laptop on, I get this popup message: "Your Wi-Fi Catcher band configuration is not compatible with your WLAN card band configuration. Select YES to automatically change your Wi-Fi Catcher Band or NO to keep your current band configuration." Choosing "yes" never seems to make a difference, because the internet still doesn't come on. So I have to turn the internet on manually by choosing "Diagnose Why Windows can't find any networks" and then choosing "Start Windows Wireless Service". Doing that works and my internet connection returns. But I don't want to have to do this every time I turn the laptop on. What should I do?
Malke

Re: Windows cannot find my network
ColorStruck wrote:

> I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA HOME BASIC 32-BIT
> AFTER I DID A WINDOWS EASY TRANSFER LAST NIGHT FROM MY DESKTOP (DELL
> DIMENSION) TO MY NEW LAPTOP (DELL INSPIRON 1525) , I NOTICED THAT, AFTER
> I DID A REBOOT, WINDOWS COULD NO LONGER FIND THE NETWORK THAT THE
> COMPUTER IS CONNECTED TO. I HAVE TO MANUALLY TURN IT ON BY DOING A
> WINDOWS NETWORK REPAIR EVERY TIME I TURN THE LAPTOP ON OR RESTART IT. MY
> LAPTOP CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET WIRELESSLY THROUGH A LOCAL HOME
> NETWORK (COMCAST). MY OLD COMPUTER, A DELL DESKTOP (VISTA HOME PREMIUM
> 32 BIT) IS CONNECTED THROUGH A LINKSYS MODEM. WHEN I GOT MY NEW DELL
> LAPTOP COUPLE DAYS AGO AND ADDED IT TO THE NETWORK, EVERYTHING WORKED
> NORMAL, THERE WERE NO PROBLEMS, AND WHENEVER I TURNED THE LAPTOP ON,
> WINDOWS AUTOMATICALLY LOCATES THE NETWORK, JUST LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO.
> NOW, IT DOESN'T. NOW, WHEN I TURN THE LAPTOP ON, I GET THIS POPUP
> MESSAGE: \"YOUR WI-FI CATCHER BAND CONFIGURATION IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH
> YOUR WLAN CARD BAND CONFIGURATION. SELECT YES TO AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE
> YOUR WI-FI CATCHER BAND OR NO TO KEEP YOUR CURRENT BAND CONFIGURATION.\"
> CHOOSING \"YES\" NEVER SEEMS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE, BECAUSE THE INTERNET
> STILL DOESN'T COME ON. SO I HAVE TO TURN THE INTERNET ON MANUALLY BY
> CHOOSING \"DIAGNOSE WHY WINDOWS CAN'T FIND ANY NETWORKS\" AND THEN
> CHOOSING \"START WINDOWS WIRELESS SERVICE\". DOING THAT WORKS AND MY
> INTERNET CONNECTION RETURNS. BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY
> TIME I TURN THE LAPTOP ON. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Hi, ColorStruck - Because it is in all capital letters (which BTW is
considered shouting and rude on Usenet where you are posting), your post is
extremely difficult to read. Most people won't even bother with it.

Try reinstalling your wireless network adapter drivers. Get them from the
laptop mftr.'s tech support site for your specific model laptop.

If you have further questions, please do post back but in mixed case and
using paragraph breaks or numbered points, etc. I am not saying this to
hurt your feelings but rather to help you get the focused troubleshooting
advice you need.

How to Post:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

ColorStruck's Avatar

Location: Washington, DC
ColorStruck is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows cannot find my network
I don't know what happened, but I never posted in all caps, somehow it turned what I typed in caps. Also, my question was answered on another messageboard and the problem is resolved now. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malke View Post
ColorStruck wrote:

> I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA HOME BASIC 32-BIT
> AFTER I DID A WINDOWS EASY TRANSFER LAST NIGHT FROM MY DESKTOP (DELL
> DIMENSION) TO MY NEW LAPTOP (DELL INSPIRON 1525) , I NOTICED THAT, AFTER
> I DID A REBOOT, WINDOWS COULD NO LONGER FIND THE NETWORK THAT THE
> COMPUTER IS CONNECTED TO. I HAVE TO MANUALLY TURN IT ON BY DOING A
> WINDOWS NETWORK REPAIR EVERY TIME I TURN THE LAPTOP ON OR RESTART IT. MY
> LAPTOP CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET WIRELESSLY THROUGH A LOCAL HOME
> NETWORK (COMCAST). MY OLD COMPUTER, A DELL DESKTOP (VISTA HOME PREMIUM
> 32 BIT) IS CONNECTED THROUGH A LINKSYS MODEM. WHEN I GOT MY NEW DELL
> LAPTOP COUPLE DAYS AGO AND ADDED IT TO THE NETWORK, EVERYTHING WORKED
> NORMAL, THERE WERE NO PROBLEMS, AND WHENEVER I TURNED THE LAPTOP ON,
> WINDOWS AUTOMATICALLY LOCATES THE NETWORK, JUST LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO.
> NOW, IT DOESN'T. NOW, WHEN I TURN THE LAPTOP ON, I GET THIS POPUP
> MESSAGE: \"YOUR WI-FI CATCHER BAND CONFIGURATION IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH
> YOUR WLAN CARD BAND CONFIGURATION. SELECT YES TO AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE
> YOUR WI-FI CATCHER BAND OR NO TO KEEP YOUR CURRENT BAND CONFIGURATION.\"
> CHOOSING \"YES\" NEVER SEEMS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE, BECAUSE THE INTERNET
> STILL DOESN'T COME ON. SO I HAVE TO TURN THE INTERNET ON MANUALLY BY
> CHOOSING \"DIAGNOSE WHY WINDOWS CAN'T FIND ANY NETWORKS\" AND THEN
> CHOOSING \"START WINDOWS WIRELESS SERVICE\". DOING THAT WORKS AND MY
> INTERNET CONNECTION RETURNS. BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY
> TIME I TURN THE LAPTOP ON. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Hi, ColorStruck - Because it is in all capital letters (which BTW is
considered shouting and rude on Usenet where you are posting), your post is
extremely difficult to read. Most people won't even bother with it.

Try reinstalling your wireless network adapter drivers. Get them from the
laptop mftr.'s tech support site for your specific model laptop.

If you have further questions, please do post back but in mixed case and
using paragraph breaks or numbered points, etc. I am not saying this to
hurt your feelings but rather to help you get the focused troubleshooting
advice you need.

How to Post:
page2
How to ask a question - How to Ask a Question

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!